Gary Warner

Default Medical Kits

I recently took a CPR & First Aid course. Made me think more about a medical
kit for the boat. I had a pretty cheap one on the other boat that I was
going to use on this one. But it's pretty bad. I see West sells some, but
knowing boating stores that's probably the last place to buy it. I'm
thinking I might be just as well off to buy individual supplies to suite my
(expected) needs.

Anyone have comments on where best to buy, what is most important, or maybe
what is important but often overlooked??

Gary

NOYB

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

I recently took a CPR & First Aid course. Made me think more about a

medical
kit for the boat. I had a pretty cheap one on the other boat that I was
going to use on this one. But it's pretty bad. I see West sells some, but
knowing boating stores that's probably the last place to buy it. I'm
thinking I might be just as well off to buy individual supplies to suite

my
(expected) needs.

Anyone have comments on where best to buy, what is most important, or

maybe
what is important but often overlooked??

Sam's Club has terrific ones.

Jim Rusling

"Gary Warner" wrote:

I recently took a CPR & First Aid course. Made me think more about a medical
kit for the boat. I had a pretty cheap one on the other boat that I was
going to use on this one. But it's pretty bad. I see West sells some, but
knowing boating stores that's probably the last place to buy it. I'm
thinking I might be just as well off to buy individual supplies to suite my
(expected) needs.

Anyone have comments on where best to buy, what is most important, or maybe
what is important but often overlooked??

Gary

In addition to the usual, I recommend one or more of those "space"
blankets and instant heat packs.

--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired
Clams Canino

My 1st thought is a small rubber hose tournaquate (sp?) in case someone ever
"finds" the propeller the hard way.
People don't tend to plan for catastrophic events.

About 15 years ago we had a guy *lose* a big toe when an "asshole" in the
rope snagged it. ("My toe! the rope stole my f%^&ing toe!!! was the exact
quote that alerted us to the problem) We had no way to treat it other than
force pressure on the open socket area. And our best diving peeps couldn't
locate the damn toe.

Add "super glue" to the kit too - saves on stitches and "recreational down
time" for "medium deep" cuts. It's totally usless for missing toes though.

And sunburn ointment - with Aloe.

-W

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

I recently took a CPR & First Aid course. Made me think more about a

medical
kit for the boat. I had a pretty cheap one on the other boat that I was
going to use on this one. But it's pretty bad. I see West sells some, but
knowing boating stores that's probably the last place to buy it. I'm
thinking I might be just as well off to buy individual supplies to suite

my
(expected) needs.

Anyone have comments on where best to buy, what is most important, or

maybe
what is important but often overlooked??

Gary

Greg

For people who actually have first aid training I think a couple sterile
"triangle bandages" should be in the box. Maybe a couple of heavy duty pads,
like surplus battle dressings, just because they wre well packed and then some
of the regular Johnson and Johnson stuff for knicks and dings. Get some good
tape.
The stuff you might need is insect repellant, sun block/lotion, lip balm and
whatever other OTC stuff like aspirin and such you use. (PMS pills as required)
The thing you can carry that will save your life is lots of water!
Charles T. Low

It will be different if you're going on afternoon cruises or if you're
crossing the Pacific. The knowledge you'll need will also vary.

What type of boating do you envisage?

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

I recently took a CPR & First Aid course. Made me think more about a

medical
kit for the boat. I had a pretty cheap one on the other boat that I was
going to use on this one. But it's pretty bad. I see West sells some, but
knowing boating stores that's probably the last place to buy it. I'm
thinking I might be just as well off to buy individual supplies to suite

my
(expected) needs.

Anyone have comments on where best to buy, what is most important, or

maybe
what is important but often overlooked??

Gary

Harry Krause

Gary Warner wrote:

"Charles T. Low" wrote in message

It will be different if you're going on afternoon cruises or if you're
crossing the Pacific. The knowledge you'll need will also vary.

What type of boating do you envisage?

This is a 22' runabout. Regular use would be on lakes, at antique boat
shows, cruising up or down the Hudson river or in Boston Harbor fairly near
the islands or main-land. Possibly I might be further out in the harbor on
occasion. Could also sleep for a night on an island while moored nearby. ~~
So just basics for daily stuff and, as Claims pointed out, the emergency
first-use stuff for a more "catistrophic" event. For anything really
serious I'd 99% chance be in Cell-Phone or VHF range and proximity to land,
coast-guard, other boats, etc.

Any more thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I often take a doctor with me...she's well-equipped, in many ways.

Gould 0738

Belong to a yacht club, power squadron, fishing club, or other org?

Test the interest in putting together a bunch of first-aid kits at once.

It's borderline shameful what they get for a
first aid kit. Probably about $12 (retail) worth of actual supplies in a
typical $50
set up, and even less when you buy bandaids, guaze, ointments, aspirin and
compresses in any sort of volume at all.

Plastic box, instruction book, and all: you should be able to put together
quite a few kits for the BIGBOX price of a single unit.