Charles T. Low

Default Medical Kits

Gary,

There are whole books about medical care while at sea (which I haven't
read - only "articles") - so it's a big topic, and there aren't any "right"
answers. I've put together a kit for myself with lots of bandages, gauze
rolls, tensor, antiseptic soap and ointment, acetaminophen, antihistamine
.... and rarely used any of it. One boating guest of mine did break her
leg(!), and I applied a tensor bandage whilst transporting her back to land.
I don't think it affected her prognosis! (She did well.)

What could kill you quickly? A bad allergic reaction would require
adrenaline, and probably more of us should carry a kit for adrenaline
injection. They outdate and have to be maintained, so you know how that
would go for most of us...

Also, a concept which is gaining in popularity is that of automatic
defribillators. Expensive, but I suspect they will become more commonplace,
like anti-lock brakes and airbags in cars. If your heart sputters out on the
water, then you ain't making it without a defibrillator right there. (I
don't have one, and know no boater who carries one.)

You can get to the stage where you carry a small ICU with you and have taken
courses about medical emergencies at sea. There was some physician in the
U.S. who went around giving lectures for boaters on the topic. Long distance
boaters, for example, often need to know a little dentistry.

Where to draw the line is a matter of some debate.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Gary Warner" wrote in message
This is a 22' runabout. Regular use would be on lakes, at antique boat
shows, cruising up or down the Hudson river or in Boston Harbor fairly

near
the islands or main-land. Possibly I might be further out in the harbor

on
occasion. Could also sleep for a night on an island while moored nearby.

~~
So just basics for daily stuff and, as Claims pointed out, the emergency
first-use stuff for a more "catistrophic" event. For anything really
serious I'd 99% chance be in Cell-Phone or VHF range and proximity to

land,
coast-guard, other boats, etc.

Any more thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

otnmbrd

always include something for burns

John H

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:17:06 -0400, "Gary Warner" wrote:

I recently took a CPR & First Aid course. Made me think more about a medical
kit for the boat. I had a pretty cheap one on the other boat that I was
going to use on this one. But it's pretty bad. I see West sells some, but
knowing boating stores that's probably the last place to buy it. I'm
thinking I might be just as well off to buy individual supplies to suite my
(expected) needs.

Anyone have comments on where best to buy, what is most important, or maybe
what is important but often overlooked??

Gary

Carry a pair of heavy duty wire cutters. Mine came in very handy when a kid put
a hook through his thumb!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Gary Warner wrote:

"Charles T. Low" wrote in message

It will be different if you're going on afternoon cruises or if you're
crossing the Pacific. The knowledge you'll need will also vary.

What type of boating do you envisage?

This is a 22' runabout. Regular use would be on lakes, at antique boat
shows, cruising up or down the Hudson river or in Boston Harbor fairly

near
the islands or main-land. Possibly I might be further out in the harbor

on
occasion. Could also sleep for a night on an island while moored nearby.

~~
So just basics for daily stuff and, as Claims pointed out, the emergency
first-use stuff for a more "catistrophic" event. For anything really
serious I'd 99% chance be in Cell-Phone or VHF range and proximity to

land,
coast-guard, other boats, etc.

Any more thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I often take a doctor with me...she's well-equipped, in many ways.

"Well-equipped"? Does she have "outdoor plumbing"?

Harry Krause

Gary Warner wrote:

[...]

Naw...which is why when I was shopping for a fishing boat, I ended up
with a Parker with a cabin and a flush toilet instead of the center
consoles that were higher on my list.

She has removed the occasional treble hook from my palm, my upper leg
and...well, no need to go there...

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Gary Warner :

I recently took a CPR & First Aid course. Made me think more about a medical
kit for the boat. I had a pretty cheap one on the other boat that I was
going to use on this one. But it's pretty bad. I see West sells some, but
knowing boating stores that's probably the last place to buy it. I'm
thinking I might be just as well off to buy individual supplies to suite my
(expected) needs.

Anyone have comments on where best to buy, what is most important, or maybe
what is important but often overlooked??

My pop, who was a highway cop for 30 years, always carried a first aid kit
packed in a good sized camera case. He pretty much hammered into our
heads how important a good kit was. The prepacked kits always have stuff
like asprin and tweezers and sunblock ointment and burn cream, which are
are OK to have as a convenience, but often skimp on basic items, which
could save life/limb, like:

LOTS of gauze compresses.. more than you think you could possibly
use. 4X4 is a handy size, but get some larger 5X9 trauma pads too. Pop
used to carry women's maxi pads in his kit. I'm sure they're not sterile,
but when you have a giant propeller gash in your leg, you worry about
controling the blod flow first.
Gauze rolls and medical tape
duct tape
Tourniquit
Wire cutters
sterile saline.. good for flushing eyes and wounds.
Rubber gloves
Any emergency medicines you or your family might need. (My younger brother
has a seizure distorder, so we kept extra suppplies of his meds in all our
vehicles)

Personally, a few years ago I sliced the crap out of my hand on a brand
new fillet knife, on the best day of salmon season that year. Needed 28
stitches across 3 fingers. 4X4 copmpresses were my friend that
day. Since the 2 friends who were fishing with me that day were fine with
operating the boat, but clueless as to loading the trailer, I sent them
back out to fish while I got myself repaired at the hospital. I was
mighty ****ed when I returned to help them load the boat and they had
limited out while I had managed a single fish before I filleted myself.

Dan

--
If you took away everything in the world that had to be invented,
there'd be nothing left except a lot of people getting rained on.

-- Tom Stoppard