Gary Warner

Default Combination GPS & VHF -- Anyone used it??

In the newest West Marine flyer there is a unit that is a combination
handheld GPS & VHF. When I was looking for these I couldn't find one so I
bought a GPS. That will have to do for now.

But I thought that the combo would be great for me. I want to have both on
board, but as I'll usually be fairly close to land, often in lakes or
rivers, neighter is critical. I figured one unit would be easier in that:
Only one to carry, remember, charge batteries for, be able to plug in on the
boat, and takes less room.

So, anyone used this (or other) combo unit??

Uniden. Mystic Handheld Mapping GPS & VHF. $399.99

Gary

Wayne.B

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:14:46 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:
In the newest West Marine flyer there is a unit that is a combination
handheld GPS & VHF. When I was looking for these I couldn't find one so I
bought a GPS. That will have to do for now.

But I thought that the combo would be great for me. I want to have both on
board, but as I'll usually be fairly close to land, often in lakes or
rivers, neighter is critical. I figured one unit would be easier in that:
Only one to carry, remember, charge batteries for, be able to plug in on the
boat, and takes less room.

So, anyone used this (or other) combo unit??

Uniden. Mystic Handheld Mapping GPS & VHF. $399.99

Doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me since you can buy two
separate units for a total price well under $300, and quite possibly
under $250. My latest handheld GPS cost about $130 and is a nice
little unit with NEMA data out and electronic "bread crumbs" for
retracing your course and creating waypoints (Garmin Geko).
My last handheld VHF was on sale for less than $100 and is a decent
unit for the price.
Calif Bill

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

In the newest West Marine flyer there is a unit that is a combination
handheld GPS & VHF. When I was looking for these I couldn't find one so I
bought a GPS. That will have to do for now.

But I thought that the combo would be great for me. I want to have both on
board, but as I'll usually be fairly close to land, often in lakes or
rivers, neighter is critical. I figured one unit would be easier in that:
Only one to carry, remember, charge batteries for, be able to plug in on

the
boat, and takes less room.

So, anyone used this (or other) combo unit??

Uniden. Mystic Handheld Mapping GPS & VHF. $399.99

Gary

Is it submersible? If it is, it would be a great unit to have. I have a
fixed and carry a Standard HX260 in my PFD when fishing alone in the ocean
and SF bay. This would allow you to broadcast your position, without having
to carry the handheld GPS also.

Gary Warner

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

Doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me since you can buy two
separate units for a total price well under $300, and quite possibly
under $250.

Good point.

Also, some GPS alone cost 400 or more. I forgot to mention, this is a
"mapping" GPS. Those usually start moe in the $250 range, no?

Rich Forman

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

Doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me since you can buy two
separate units for a total price well under $300, and quite possibly
under $250.

Good point.

Also, some GPS alone cost 400 or more. I forgot to mention, this is a
"mapping" GPS. Those usually start moe in the $250 range, no?

Not necessarily, the Garmin eTrex Legend is a good basic mapping gps,
can be had for well under 200 these days. Can load more shoreline
detail from Garmin's MapSource CD-roms which are about 60 bucks each.
The next model up, the Vista has 24 mb of ram to the Legend's 8, but I
was able to load most of the East Coast from their "Inland Waterways"
CD onto my Legend.

richforman