Wayne.B

Default Combination GPS & VHF -- Anyone used it??

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:14:46 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:
In the newest West Marine flyer there is a unit that is a combination
handheld GPS & VHF. When I was looking for these I couldn't find one so I
bought a GPS. That will have to do for now.

But I thought that the combo would be great for me. I want to have both on
board, but as I'll usually be fairly close to land, often in lakes or
rivers, neighter is critical. I figured one unit would be easier in that:
Only one to carry, remember, charge batteries for, be able to plug in on the
boat, and takes less room.

So, anyone used this (or other) combo unit??

Uniden. Mystic Handheld Mapping GPS & VHF. $399.99

Doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me since you can buy two
separate units for a total price well under $300, and quite possibly
under $250. My latest handheld GPS cost about $130 and is a nice
little unit with NEMA data out and electronic "bread crumbs" for
retracing your course and creating waypoints (Garmin Geko).
My last handheld VHF was on sale for less than $100 and is a decent
unit for the price.