Clams Canino

Default Update.

Was contacted by their insurance co this AM. Next step is that they send
some independant appraiser to my front yard to see the boat. So... now I'm
waiting for said appraiser to contact me to make appointment. sigh

-W

Clams Canino

Hmmmmm

He's come and gone. He *really* wanted me to kiss off the outboard with a
skeg / prop repair and powertrim seal job - and then have to pay for just
the hull and trailer. I kinda played dumb till he dug in a little. I asked
him how we could know, since the impact inertia ripped so many bolts and
fittings loose, how the 8 bolts and aluminum leg casting on my outboard
fared unscathed.

The way I *want* it to go is that the entire package is totaled and I get to
buy the outboard back for salvage / scrap. - Then and only then will I
accept the risks associated with using an outboard that saw that much
trauma. Odds are the impact could have damaged the (designed too thin) part
of the block casting between the exhaust outlets, not super critical - but
requires dissasembly down to the block casting to get it gas-welded back to
correct. 1/2 the ones I take apart are damaged for no good reason. No way
I'd let that kind of stress go unchecked.

He's not the final arbiter - the insurance adjuster is.

Now, as for a *new* hull...........

Best I can seem to find is 7k for a 16' or 8k for a 17' - with Mercury
pre-rig, no OB.

He's not the final arbiter - the insurance adjuster is.

None of them yet know that I salvage specificly Mercury inline 6 OB's for a
"hobby".

--

PLEASE NOTE: Email address change from to

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
He cometh at 9am tomorrow. I'm ready.

-W

--

Was contacted by their insurance co this AM. Next step is that they

send
some independant appraiser to my front yard to see the boat. So... now

I'm
waiting for said appraiser to contact me to make appointment. sigh

-W

Jim

Sounds like they might be willing to risk the possibility of
'hidden damage' which can be stupid on their part. Even if
they settle with you, outside of salvaging the whole package,
if there is a problem down the road due to hidden damage, they're
still on the hook.

If they salvage the whole package, you may not have any option
except for buying back the whole package. But I don't know for
sure.

Can't say that I know how 'independent' this independent adjuster
is since they are paying him to do the adjusting. :^)

Good luck with this and continue to keep us posted.

-Jim

Clams Canino wrote:
[...]

noah

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:25:46 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

[...]

Clams- I was really sorry to hear of this accident. Stick to your
guns, maybe mention "hidden damage", tell 'em you don't want 5 years
of problems, show 'em every loose fitting, bolt, and connection.
Specifically ask for an independent survey.

Outrage can be a *good* thing. )

Good luck.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,