cwood

Default Mercruiser I/O tilt problem

I just took my boat out of winter storage. (late 80's 21 chriscraft)
Drive was stored in down position.

It will not tilt or trim up. Motor runs when I press down, but when I
press up it just clicks once in the rear and thats it...sounds like the
sol is firing...but not the motor. Doing some reading I found someone
noting that if the shift linkage is in revers it will not tilt up...but
have not had a chance to wiggle the shift lever around and make sure it
is not registering that way. I had to leave before being able to
troubleshoot any further.

I'm thinking if the pump is running then its likely ok, if it were
struggling or even running when I press up then I would think rams or
something else.

Any comments? limit switches maybe?

Dave Hall

On 8 Jun 2005 05:53:06 -0700, "cwood" wrote:

I just took my boat out of winter storage. (late 80's 21 chriscraft)
Drive was stored in down position.

It will not tilt or trim up. Motor runs when I press down, but when I
press up it just clicks once in the rear and thats it...sounds like the
sol is firing...but not the motor. Doing some reading I found someone
noting that if the shift linkage is in revers it will not tilt up...but
have not had a chance to wiggle the shift lever around and make sure it
is not registering that way. I had to leave before being able to
troubleshoot any further.

I'm thinking if the pump is running then its likely ok, if it were
struggling or even running when I press up then I would think rams or
something else.

Any comments? limit switches maybe?

This may be useless info, but when I took my 1995 out of storage the
up tilt would not do anything but down tilt worked (it was stored
almost totally down, but not quite). However it has a separate up tilt
button for raising to trailering height. I pressed it and it raised
the drive. After that the regular button worked both up and down. I
don't have a clue why, but I have had no problems since.

The Other Dave Hall

Mercruiser Alpha 1 - 3.0 Liter Starter Circuit Problem rmoxtenn General 1 June 13th 04 04:36 PM
Mercruiser lower unit minor problem (I think) Eddie E General 8 April 7th 04 02:13 AM
1987 Mercruiser 260 Alpha 1 problem MJT Cruising 3 March 2nd 04 08:26 PM
MerCruiser stalling Bill General 9 September 30th 03 04:18 AM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM