ct kid

Default Sailboat Mast Problem

My neighbor (not a Newsgroup reader) has a Marshall (1993) Sandpiper
sailboat. It has a pivoting mast. The physical joint, where the mast
pivots, recently broke.

I have tried innumerable Google searches to see if I could find a
source for that flex joint (not sure of the proper name for the part
that allows the mast to be brought down). He is expecting he will need
to buy a completely new mast.

Anyone know of less expensive alternatives. Most appreciative for any
advice.

Thanks
DSK

ct kid wrote:
My neighbor (not a Newsgroup reader) has a Marshall (1993) Sandpiper
sailboat. It has a pivoting mast. The physical joint, where the mast
pivots, recently broke.

I have tried innumerable Google searches to see if I could find a
source for that flex joint (not sure of the proper name for the part
that allows the mast to be brought down).

It's called the tabernacle.
Have you contacted Marshall?

http://www.marshallcat.com/

... He is expecting he will need
to buy a completely new mast.

If the foot of the mast is damaged, then yes. It seems likely to me that
unless the mast & tabernacle got *really* twisted all to hell, then the
mast shoudl be fine.

Anyone know of less expensive alternatives.

You mean one that would break more easily? Let me put it this way, if
the original part was barely strong enough, and broke (possibly through
mis-use) then why do you want to replace it with a cheaper (presumably
weaker) part?

... Most appreciative for any
advice.

You're welcome, although I'm pretty sure this isn't what you wanted to hear.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Don White

ct kid wrote:
My neighbor (not a Newsgroup reader) has a Marshall (1993) Sandpiper
sailboat. It has a pivoting mast. The physical joint, where the mast
pivots, recently broke.

I have tried innumerable Google searches to see if I could find a
source for that flex joint (not sure of the proper name for the part
that allows the mast to be brought down). He is expecting he will need
to buy a completely new mast.

Anyone know of less expensive alternatives. Most appreciative for any
advice.

Thanks

Try these people...
http://www.vaxxine.com/clsailboats/
They supply a pivoting mast with their CL 16 and could probably give
some advice. Best to phone...they are very slow returning e-mail
requests...if ever.

ct kid

On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:57:26 -0400, DSK wrote:

ct kid wrote:
[...]

Thanks to yourself, and others that provided helpful info.

I forgot to mention that the tabernacle (I now know the part name) was
damaged due to "pilot error". He was transporting his trailored
sailboat and "forgot" that a new over-head power line was installed,
since he last transported his boat. When his erect mass hit the power
line, the power line won and his tabernacle fractured. There is no
other physical damage to the mast, merely a clean fracture at the
tabernacle.

I am sure he will find the links and info you, and others provided, to
be most helpful. Myself, it nice to see a Usenet site not composed of
flamers -- when one may have inadvertently violated a group charter.

Thanks to all.

You're welcome, although I'm pretty sure this isn't what you wanted to hear.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

ct kid wrote:
I forgot to mention that the tabernacle (I now know the part name) was
damaged due to "pilot error". He was transporting his trailored
sailboat and "forgot" that a new over-head power line was installed,
since he last transported his boat. When his erect mass hit the power
line, the power line won and his tabernacle fractured. There is no
other physical damage to the mast, merely a clean fracture at the
tabernacle.

He's lucky then. I haven't done this myself (more due to luck than
diligence, but I try) but have had a number of friends damage their
boats this way. Overhanging tree branches are a PITA too. Usually some
part of the rigging also breaks, or fails to break soon enough, cleanly
enough, and yanks the boat off the trailer. Big ouchy.

I am sure he will find the links and info you, and others provided, to
be most helpful.

Hope so... good luck getting sailing again soon.

.... Myself, it nice to see a Usenet site not composed of
flamers -- when one may have inadvertently violated a group charter.

Actually, that's what this place is for, when the political flaming dies
down enough.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Harry.Krause

On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:17:20 GMT, ct kid wrote:

My neighbor (not a Newsgroup reader) has a Marshall (1993) Sandpiper
sailboat. It has a pivoting mast. The physical joint, where the mast
pivots, recently broke.

Sandpipers are known to be junk. Rig the pivot together, and sell it
to a unwary buyer.

Me and the wife
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harkra...bum?.dir=/1323

self stepping my mast. rick ASA 25 August 9th 04 12:55 PM
Mast Problem Gafffer General 1 September 22nd 03 07:11 AM
Mast Problem Gafffer Power Boat Racing 0 September 19th 03 08:11 AM
Mast Problem Gafffer General 0 September 19th 03 08:11 AM
Mast Problem Gafffer Boat Building 0 September 19th 03 08:11 AM