Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
John H

Default Almost a skunk!

Maybe it really was a skunk. Does one 17" striper count? If not, then today the
smell was really bad!

We left Deale at 7am, after a little search for some bait. Went down to the
Summer Gooses (about 20 miles or so south) to try our luck with some chum and
bloodworms. Bloodworms were $8.75 a dozen at Bay Pro, and he said that was a
pretty good deal as the 7/11 was getting $10.50 a dozen. Regardless, we didn't
have even a nibble on those gourmet bloodworms!

There were several boats around, mostly charters (including the Loosen Up), but
only one was anchored. The rest were all trolling in a tight circle, and every
so often a fish would get caught. Then the fish would get thrown back. We didn't
see one keeper caught by anyone.

Thinking that trolling for dinks was better than bouncing up and down in the 3
feet high one footers the USCG predicted, we put out the trolling lines. Within
ten minutes we had a take down and my neighbor pulled in a 17"er. Hell, at least
he caught a fish, and he thought it was pretty neat, until I threw it back and
explained the law!

We trolled across the bay to Breezy Point (something burned up at Breezy today),
with no take downs. Once across the bay we found the shell bottom and tried to
get some croaker (or anything). Nada!

Then we came home. The water was smooth as silk (not glass) for the ride back
and the weather was as perfect as it gets. So, we caught nothing but had a great
time doing it!

Nice speaking with crazyfish who was filling his cooler with flounder.
Good job guy!

--
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes (A true binary thinker!)