barry

Default 89 evinrude no high speed

I have a 89 40 hp evinrude, that won't run at high speed. It been that
way whenwe started it up this year. It was fogged for the winter. I
have rebuilt the carbs, new fuel filter, plugs. Tried new gas. It start
up fine. When you start it up cold, we'll pull up the handle to give it
more air. And it use to scream. Now it just run realy ruff. I been told
it was the carbs. They were very clean inside, replaced the guts. Blow
out all the holes.
Not sure what to check now!

Thanks
Barry

Harry.Krause

On 25 May 2005 12:21:09 -0700, "barry" wrote:

I have a 89 40 hp evinrude, that won't run at high speed.

Try running straight gas through it to gain more power.

Me and the wife
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harkra...bum?.dir=/1323
tony thomas

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Make sure the primer bulb is not
colapsing and make sure the fuel tank pickup is clean.
It could be the fuel pump also but that would be my last thing to change.
When it stumbles - try engaging the choke and see if that helps. If it
does - then you definetly have a carb problem.
Try tearing down the carbs again and make sure the float is set properly and
the jets are clean.
If it does nothing when you engage the choke (no change) then you have a
fuel starvation problem somewhere in the fuel system/pump.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-
"barry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 89 40 hp evinrude, that won't run at high speed. It been that
way whenwe started it up this year. It was fogged for the winter. I
have rebuilt the carbs, new fuel filter, plugs. Tried new gas. It start
up fine. When you start it up cold, we'll pull up the handle to give it
more air. And it use to scream. Now it just run realy ruff. I been told
it was the carbs. They were very clean inside, replaced the guts. Blow
out all the holes.
Not sure what to check now!

Thanks
Barry

Speed transducer of SPEED2100(Navman), Marine instrument!!! bing2005 Electronics 8 January 27th 05 01:29 PM
DR practice Joe ASA 204 August 10th 04 03:28 AM
The future of yacht design - myth number 2. Frank ASA 2 June 28th 04 03:40 PM
Question: Judging High Tide by the Moon Bart Senior ASA 51 May 6th 04 12:28 AM
Can Tow from Florida to Northeast for $$ NOYB General 106 September 24th 03 01:57 AM