cam

Default Trim/tilt problem (no down tilt available)

My Merc out drive tilts up and is stuck in the up position (both the
trailer switch and the trim switch mounted on the throttle work).
However the down does not do anything (no sound, solenoid click,
nothing). I have ohm'ed out the switch and it is working as it should.
I have ohm'ed the other direction and it appears to be an open
(possibly an open wire). I am not sure where this equipment physically
is located to check this out, nor do I have shcmatics showing me which
wire is which - anyone have any experience here? Also the lower
portion of the engine/ starter were under water for a while. The
starter has been replaced and I wonder if they left a wire off or broke
it or it is just plane corroded? Thanks for your help in advance.
Steve

tony thomas

What year is it and what engine and outdrive?
This will make a difference. In general you are looking for a black pump
assembly w/ two hoses that come out of it. Trace the wires back to the
solenoid assembly. Chances are you have a bad down solenoid. You can swap
wires around and/or swap solenoid to verify that the down will now work.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-
"cam" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Merc out drive tilts up and is stuck in the up position (both the
trailer switch and the trim switch mounted on the throttle work).
However the down does not do anything (no sound, solenoid click,
nothing). I have ohm'ed out the switch and it is working as it should.
I have ohm'ed the other direction and it appears to be an open
(possibly an open wire). I am not sure where this equipment physically
is located to check this out, nor do I have shcmatics showing me which
wire is which - anyone have any experience here? Also the lower
portion of the engine/ starter were under water for a while. The
starter has been replaced and I wonder if they left a wire off or broke
it or it is just plane corroded? Thanks for your help in advance.
Steve

Loss pf Power problem with Yanmar Engine Jerry Poore Cruising 3 June 26th 04 05:02 PM
1973 v4 115 Johnson starting problem... Ideas [email protected] General 12 February 25th 04 05:37 PM
Mercruiser tilt problem, help Jodon2 General 3 September 21st 03 03:37 AM
vhf problem Dave Skolnick Electronics 2 August 18th 03 07:52 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM