Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Eric

Default 5.0L Mercruiser Won't Start?

I have a '98 Bayliner with a 5.0L Merc engine. I am having intermittent
starting issues. What usually happens is the boat will start and run
fine for a while, then after being shut down for 20mins - 1 hour or so,
we'll go to restart the boat and nothing will happen. We'll hear a
faint warning buzzer that always comes on when the key is in the
accessory position, that will die down when turning the key, and
nothing, no clicking, no accessories will work. Have replaced the
battery. During this scenario, if I hook a jumper box up directly to
the starter, the boat will crank over fine.
I'm thinking it may be the battery cable that goes from the starter to
the + terminal of the battery may be bad? That's my next step.
Any other advice for this issue would be helpful!

Thanks!