BoatBanter.com

-   -   Smokey 2-stroke (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/3821-smokey-2-stroke.html)

Lloyd Sumpter March 29th 04 05:49 PM

Smokey 2-stroke

Hi,
(Geez, another boating-related topic! I gotta stop...)

My 1989 Johnson 15hp smokes a lot. It uses so little fuel that I've
forgotten when I fueled up, but I always put in 50:1. Is there other
reasons apart from too much oil in the gas which would make a 2-stroke
smoke? Is there a way to find out what the ratio IS (I might have
mis-calculated)? I want to sell the engine, and it's a Hard Sell when you
can't see the engine for smoke (Koff! Koff!)

It runs fine apart from the smoke.

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12

Bill Kiene March 29th 04 06:07 PM

Smokey 2-stroke

Lloyd,

Those were great motors and extremely popular. It is probably the mix ratio
if it smokes a lot even after it is warmed up but it could be adjusted a
little rich too.

I think it might be worth the investment to get some fresh gasoline and some
OMC/Johnson/Evinrude 2 cycle oil and mix it accurately to 50:1.

A friend here in Sacramento, CA, has a nice open 15' aluminum skiff on a
trailer with a 'not worn out' 15hp Chrysler 2 stroke. He just bought a new
Honda 20hp 4 stroke tiller and just had it out last week for the first time.
He said it was very quiet and smooth with no smoke. He said it makes him
want to go fishing now. He said his old motor must have been around 10hp by
now so it really feels much stronger now.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

Short Wave Sportfishing March 29th 04 06:18 PM

Smokey 2-stroke

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:49:45 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Hi,
(Geez, another boating-related topic! I gotta stop...)

My 1989 Johnson 15hp smokes a lot. It uses so little fuel that I've
forgotten when I fueled up, but I always put in 50:1. Is there other
reasons apart from too much oil in the gas which would make a 2-stroke
smoke? Is there a way to find out what the ratio IS (I might have
mis-calculated)? I want to sell the engine, and it's a Hard Sell when you
can't see the engine for smoke (Koff! Koff!)

It runs fine apart from the smoke.

It the fuel is older, that could be a problem, but the oil may have
settled in the tank - needs to be mixed again - or the rings may need
to reseat themselves (run it for a while) - or the rings may be bad -
or the fuel mixture as you mentioned, but I believe that 50:1 is about
right for that vintage.

Later,

Tom

thunder March 29th 04 07:21 PM

Smokey 2-stroke

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:49:45 -0800, Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

It runs fine apart from the smoke.

FYI, there are smokeless oils.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm

CCred68046 March 29th 04 07:50 PM

Smokey 2-stroke

Hi,
(Geez, another boating-related topic! I gotta stop...)

No, dont stop now... You off topic posters sucessfully ran off Joe Reeves who
was a truely excellent source of free Evinrude/Johnson help.
Had he been here, you would have gotten a real answer of what to look for and
what to do. Now you will get answers like "remix the gas" or "try a four
stroke".

Maybe you guys will figure out why some of us had some respect for this group.

Enjoy the smoke, its no worse than the "smoke" you guys create in this group.

trainfan1 March 29th 04 10:31 PM

Smokey 2-stroke

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,
(Geez, another boating-related topic! I gotta stop...)

My 1989 Johnson 15hp smokes a lot. It uses so little fuel that I've
forgotten when I fueled up, but I always put in 50:1. Is there other
reasons apart from too much oil in the gas which would make a 2-stroke
smoke? Is there a way to find out what the ratio IS (I might have
mis-calculated)? I want to sell the engine, and it's a Hard Sell when you
can't see the engine for smoke (Koff! Koff!)

It runs fine apart from the smoke.

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12

Lloyd,

That engine is to be mixed at 50:1, or a pint to the 6 Gallon factory
tank topped off (they hold about 6.2 gallons).

Oil seldom "settles out" of a fuel mixture, they mix well, and boat
motion keeps fuel mixed well too.

Long idling or slow operation will cause the crankcase to load up on
some engines, and they always clear with some high-speed operation.

An interested/knowledgeable buyer will not be discouraged by this
operation, but may try to use it as leverage in bargaining - this is
where you come in as the knowledgeable seller... Good Luck!

Rob

Bill March 30th 04 03:15 AM

Smokey 2-stroke

Those were great motors and extremely popular. It is probably the mix
ratio
if it smokes a lot even after it is warmed up but it could be adjusted a
little rich too.

I think it might be worth the investment to get some fresh gasoline and

some
OMC/Johnson/Evinrude 2 cycle oil and mix it accurately to 50:1.

--
Bill Kiene

Lloyd,
I would do what Bill suggested first with the fresh gas and correct oil
mixture. If it still smoke real bad you might want to look at the
Carburetors. They may be loading up causing the rich gas/oil to dump in the
cylinders. Remember Gas burn better then Oil

Bill

Lloyd Sumpter March 30th 04 03:37 AM

Smokey 2-stroke

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:15:21 +0000, Bill wrote:

Those were great motors and extremely popular. It is probably the mix

ratio
if it smokes a lot even after it is warmed up but it could be adjusted a
little rich too.

I think it might be worth the investment to get some fresh gasoline and

some
OMC/Johnson/Evinrude 2 cycle oil and mix it accurately to 50:1.

--
Bill Kiene

Lloyd,
I would do what Bill suggested first with the fresh gas and correct oil mixture.
If it still smoke real bad you might want to look at the Carburetors. They may
be loading up causing the rich gas/oil to dump in the cylinders. Remember Gas
burn better then Oil

Bill

Sounds like I should "explore" a too-rich mixture. There's a knob on the front -
does that change mixture at all rpms or just idle (or what DOES it do?)

I want to get some fresh gas, but I'm not sure what to do with the old stuff.
My lawn mower would explode - it's electric!

Lloyd

Lloyd Sumpter March 30th 04 03:38 AM

Smokey 2-stroke

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:18:39 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm...why would bad rings make a 2-stroke smoke? It does seem to smoke less
after I've run it for awhile.

Lloyd

Calif Bill March 30th 04 05:26 AM

Smokey 2-stroke

[...]

Put it in a 5 gallon can and try the new fuel. You can always add a gallon
to your van every fillup.