Lloyd Sumpter

Default Connecting Vent hoses

Hi,
Sorry for the boating-related post...

I need to extend my 4" vent hoses. Steveston Marine didn't have any
kind of "connector" which would do the job (I'm assuming a short length of
pipe that would go inside the hose). Is there such a thing? Could I just
use a bit of PVC pipe? Or can I just duct-tape them together (they're
lying on the inside of the hull - no stress)? Using duct tape to tape
ducts: what a concept!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:27:12 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Hi,
Sorry for the boating-related post...

I need to extend my 4" vent hoses. Steveston Marine didn't have any
kind of "connector" which would do the job (I'm assuming a short length of
pipe that would go inside the hose). Is there such a thing? Could I just
use a bit of PVC pipe? Or can I just duct-tape them together (they're
lying on the inside of the hull - no stress)? Using duct tape to tape
ducts: what a concept!

Why not get the proper length hose? Can't cost that much more. I
wouldn't advise making one out of two with PVC or duct tape - or was
that a bit of subtle humor? :)

Later,

Tom
Calif Bill

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,
Sorry for the boating-related post...

I need to extend my 4" vent hoses. Steveston Marine didn't have any
kind of "connector" which would do the job (I'm assuming a short length of
pipe that would go inside the hose). Is there such a thing? Could I just
use a bit of PVC pipe? Or can I just duct-tape them together (they're
lying on the inside of the hull - no stress)? Using duct tape to tape
ducts: what a concept!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

The 4" vent hose is cheap. But if you must connect, don't use duct tape.
The stuff does break down. Use what the industry, at least in most of the
USA is required to use, Aluminum tape. Available at any hardware store.
Bill

Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:29:44 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,
Sorry for the boating-related post...

I need to extend my 4" vent hoses. Steveston Marine didn't have any
kind of "connector" which would do the job (I'm assuming a short length
of pipe that would go inside the hose). Is there such a thing? Could I
just use a bit of PVC pipe? Or can I just duct-tape them together
(they're lying on the inside of the hull - no stress)? Using duct tape
to tape ducts: what a concept!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Why not just spend a few bucks and buy some hose lengths of...the right
length? Taping together vent hoses on a boat seems the antithesis of
"shipshape."

It's not the bux. These are long runs, going through some VERY tight
quarters (ie need a fishing-line to get the stuff through). I'd prefer not
to have to re-run that hose. Not only that, I barely found long enough
lengths for the "extensions" (which, I suspect, is why Catalina did it the
way they did - couldn't get long enough lengths of hose)

If done "properly" (haven't found out yet what that is, but the aluminum
tape sounds good), I don't see a problem with connecting two hoses
together.

Lloyd

Lawrence James

If you try you should be able to spin a new piece over the existing section.
If you overlap enough you will not need anything else. It is better to put
the extension on the end on the outside of the original so the airflow keeps
the orignal hose open.

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,
Sorry for the boating-related post...

I need to extend my 4" vent hoses. Steveston Marine didn't have any
kind of "connector" which would do the job (I'm assuming a short length of
pipe that would go inside the hose). Is there such a thing? Could I just
use a bit of PVC pipe? Or can I just duct-tape them together (they're
lying on the inside of the hull - no stress)? Using duct tape to tape
ducts: what a concept!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Lloyd Sumpter :
Hi,
Sorry for the boating-related post...

I need to extend my 4" vent hoses. Steveston Marine didn't have any
kind of "connector" which would do the job (I'm assuming a short length of
pipe that would go inside the hose). Is there such a thing? Could I just
use a bit of PVC pipe? Or can I just duct-tape them together (they're
lying on the inside of the hull - no stress)? Using duct tape to tape
ducts: what a concept!

If you're talking about vent hose with a spiral wound metal support wire,
sections can be "screwed" together just fine.

Dan

--
I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass.

-- Senator Barry Goldwater, commenting on Jerry
Falwell's suggestion that all good Christians
should be against Sandra Day O'Connor's nomination
to the Supreme Court

Jim

Lloyd;
Dumb question,
Didn't you replace a gas engine with a diesel? No vent is required with
diesel, correct?
Jim

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,
Sorry for the boating-related post...

I need to extend my 4" vent hoses. Steveston Marine didn't have any
kind of "connector" which would do the job (I'm assuming a short length of
pipe that would go inside the hose). Is there such a thing? Could I just
use a bit of PVC pipe? Or can I just duct-tape them together (they're
lying on the inside of the hull - no stress)? Using duct tape to tape
ducts: what a concept!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Lloyd Sumpter

Jim,

Not a dumb question. Actually, I replaced a diesel with a diesel. True, vents
are not REQUIRED, but I heard running the exhaust fan will remove that "hot
engine" smell from the main cabin (new engine, it's more burning paint and
pipe-goop I put on the exhaust pipe. Old engine, more like burning oil). And
more cold air into the engine compartment could never hurt

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,
Sorry for the boating-related post...

I need to extend my 4" vent hoses. Steveston Marine didn't have any
kind of "connector" which would do the job (I'm assuming a short length of
pipe that would go inside the hose). Is there such a thing? Could I just use a
bit of PVC pipe? Or can I just duct-tape them together (they're lying on the
inside of the hull - no stress)? Using duct tape to tape ducts: what a
concept!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Hot Water heater hoses Lloyd Sumpter General 15 March 23rd 04 10:41 PM
Vent Window Glass for Sea Ray 300 Weekender? [email protected] General 5 February 3rd 04 09:22 PM
Unclogging a waste tank vent JML General 5 September 19th 03 02:07 PM
Clogged Waste Tank Vent JML General 3 September 17th 03 02:47 AM
Clogged waste tank vent RG General 0 September 15th 03 10:50 AM