Tan PS

Default Oil Loss

Went for a quick chekcout run after fitting the engine low oil pressure
switch. Turned out to be longer than expected.

Engine is a Mercruiser 5.7 on a 1991 hull. Oil filter developed a pin hole
leak, about 1/32 dia. Lost all the oil within a minute. That was the time
after I opened the hatch to do leak check of the oil pressure switch
fitting and throttled up onto plane.

Filter cannister looks good, no sign of rust anywhere and the vincinity
around the hole is also clean. Its a Quicksilver filter. Changed filter
and topped the oil, everything's ok. Am I glad I fitted the switch!

What I cannot understand is why this switch is not standard equipment then,
the engine also does not have the overheat switch. I suppose it is standard
equipment today.

An advice to all, check if our engine has got these, if not, get them
fitted.

Tan PS

K. Smith

Tan PS wrote:
Went for a quick chekcout run after fitting the engine low oil pressure
switch. Turned out to be longer than expected.

Engine is a Mercruiser 5.7 on a 1991 hull. Oil filter developed a pin hole
leak, about 1/32 dia. Lost all the oil within a minute. That was the time
after I opened the hatch to do leak check of the oil pressure switch
fitting and throttled up onto plane.

Filter cannister looks good, no sign of rust anywhere and the vincinity
around the hole is also clean. Its a Quicksilver filter. Changed filter
and topped the oil, everything's ok. Am I glad I fitted the switch!

What I cannot understand is why this switch is not standard equipment then,
the engine also does not have the overheat switch. I suppose it is standard
equipment today.

No a "slow" function is OK but in most jurisdictions a "shutdown" is
illegal on any boat used commercially, for pretty good & obvious reasons.