Samuel Pedroso

Default looking for my 1st boat

I would like some advice on buying my 1st boat. I'm kind of stuck, don't
know where to start.

Jim

First you going to need some ideas on what you want to do with the
boat. i.e. ask yourself why you want one. It helps if you know
what you're going to do with it such a fishing, skiing, exploring,
etc. Second, and actually most important: What's your budget?

-Jim

Samuel Pedroso wrote:
I would like some advice on buying my 1st boat. I'm kind of stuck, don't
know where to start.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 06:33:20 GMT, "Samuel Pedroso"
wrote:

I would like some advice on buying my 1st boat. I'm kind of stuck, don't
know where to start.

Start with how much you have to spend or can comfortably afford budget
wise (remember that OVER TIME, boats depreciate slowly - the initial
hit is amazing - this isn't an short term investment). Then figure
out what you want to do with it - fishing? Family? Ski? Board? All of
the above? Where are you going to store it - trailer it? Have to
consider your vehicle and it's towing ability in this.

You have to narrow things down one at a time, starting with that all
important item - M O N E Y.

Once you decide on what you want for a boat, up your budget by at
least 20% because that's the cost of owning factor (taxes,
registration, gas, oil, maintenance, storage, etc.).

Good luck. Any more questions, ask.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Doug Kanter

Your question's going to generate some responses which seem like weeds
instead of flowers, but it's all part of the mix. Here goes: Make sure your
significant other is not hesitant about buying a boat. It's been said that a
boat is a hole in the water into which you pour an endless stream of money.
I wouldn't trade it for the world, but you should browse a LOT of the
messages in this newsgroup to see what sorts of things can occur. The
expected expenses are probably 50-75% of the issue. Accessories and
disasters will eat up the rest.

Don White

Samuel Pedroso wrote in message
I would like some advice on buying my 1st boat. I'm kind of stuck, don't
know where to start.

Unless you have endless funds, I'd start modestly.
A lot of people in here will advise getting the biggest motor available,
maximum 'get home power' etc.
Where I come from, it's an art and skill to get the most out of the least..

Starting off, what minimal boat will do what you want (fair weather sailor
mode) and go with that.
If you're lucky, you may find a pre-owned 'creampuff' that someone lovingly
cared for but is moving up, down or out.
If it's a good boat, you can always trade in for bigger & better if your
interest expands.

trainfan1

Samuel Pedroso wrote:
I would like some advice on buying my 1st boat. I'm kind of stuck, don't
know where to start.

My first boat will probably be my last boat, too. We use it more than
any other boat we have.

I still have the 1950-something 14.5' Alumacraft that I started out with
in 1968. It had a 5 hp Scott on it that chewed up its gears in 1972.
The 1972 Johnson 6 hp that we bought new that year still powers it
today. I changed the points & condensers once, in the mid eighties,
only because it had never been done. It starts on the first pull
without priming. I use my Alcort Force Five trailer to move it for the
once or twice a year we go to another lake.

My son, almost 5 last summer, can operate the vessel proficiently,
including shifting & maneuvering.

It has seen 4 other boats come, & 2 go, and still has preferential
placement at our dock.

Our small children kneeboard behind it. We use it as a dive boat. It's
used for fishing almost every day, and it goes out most nights fishing
in the summer. It hauls construction materials to our house. It's used
for loon watching and exploring. It's used as a water taxi and general
transportation, and as a tender for ski gear, camping gear, firewood,
picnicing, mail delivery and more.

SOOOO, I guess it comes down to what you want to do with your "first
boat".

I found it was best to start with a high-quality safe & durable aluminum
boat with an economical and reliable outboard, and OARS. This, in my
opinion, is the best way to learn. I took the boating safety courses at
9 years old, but by then I already knew most of the rules and practices.
I took the Power Squadron course at 40, as my kids are starting in
with the boats.

Have a great time! (best advice)

Rob

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM