LD

Default Fuel sloshing out vents, help!

Does anyone know of an "inline" product that would act like a check valve,
would work in a horizontal position, and fit my 5/8" id vent hose. I have
saddle tanks and the vent is only 4 inches or so above the top of the tank.
When I fill them full (two, 18 gal tanks) I wind up with spilled fuel out
the vents, all down the side of the boat (and in the water).

I was thinking of a pcv valve reversed, but even that seems to want to work
only in a vertical position.
Thanks in advance.
LD

Rod McInnis

"LD" wrote in message
. net...
Does anyone know of an "inline" product that would act like a check valve,
would work in a horizontal position, and fit my 5/8" id vent hose.

The vent line MUST be able to flow air in both directions. When you fill
the tank, air has to escape out the vent. If you had a check valve that
prevented this then you would have a terrible time filling the tank.

They make some nice shut off systems that involve a floating ball that plugs
the vent when gas enters the vent line. These need to be installed at least
at a 45 degree angle in order to work, so if you don't have room for that
then you may be out of luck.

I think your best bet is to simply not fill the tanks so full.

Rod

DSK

LD wrote:
Does anyone know of an "inline" product that would act like a check valve,
would work in a horizontal position, and fit my 5/8" id vent hose. I have
saddle tanks and the vent is only 4 inches or so above the top of the tank.
When I fill them full (two, 18 gal tanks) I wind up with spilled fuel out
the vents, all down the side of the boat (and in the water).

I was thinking of a pcv valve reversed, but even that seems to want to work
only in a vertical position.

IMHO it's a really bad idea to put any kind of valve or screen in tank
vents. It's all too easy to plug up the vent and collapse the tank, or
have some other type of failure, even without those things. Plus the
ABYC takes a dim view.

You seem to have an inherently poor design. Is there any possibility of
raising the vents, or piping them to opposite sides? The only other
thing I can think of is to not fill the tanks so full.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Lawrence James

West marine has an inline vent check valve that uses a float to close it
when the gas reaches it. I put one on mine to try to cure a similar
problem. Trouble is that now it comes back out the fill line if I'm not
careful.

"LD" wrote in message
. net...
Does anyone know of an "inline" product that would act like a check valve,
would work in a horizontal position, and fit my 5/8" id vent hose. I have
saddle tanks and the vent is only 4 inches or so above the top of the

tank.
When I fill them full (two, 18 gal tanks) I wind up with spilled fuel out
the vents, all down the side of the boat (and in the water).

I was thinking of a pcv valve reversed, but even that seems to want to

work
only in a vertical position.
Thanks in advance.
LD

LD

IMHO it's a really bad idea to put any kind of valve or screen in tank
vents. It's all too easy to plug up the vent and collapse the tank, or
have some other type of failure, even without those things. Plus the
ABYC takes a dim view.

Actually, all of the standard vents I've seen do have a screen at the
exterior portion of the vent to keep the bugs out.
I/ve seen a valve intended to keep water from entering the vent, I just need
it in reverse (and in a small area).

You seem to have an inherently poor design.

I agree that this is a poor design but---

Is there any possibility of raising the vents, or piping them to opposite
sides? --NO, not without lowering the 15 ft of hose required for each tank
and trapping any sloshing fuel in the lowered portion of the hose

The only other thing I can think of is to not fill the tanks so full
Fair Skies
Doug King

..--- YES, the original owner suggested that but at the time I didn't know I
was only to expect around
2 mpg and with my intended use (up to 15-20 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico)
I need more fuel.
LD

LD

I might could get a 45 deg position but that would put the opening of the
vent (in the side of the boat) below the highest point of the hose by a
couple of inches. Maybe worth a try. If I have to limit the fuel to only
24gal total then I don't have enough to get out in the Gulf (and back).
I'll check out the product at West.
Thanks,
LD

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

"LD" wrote in message
. net...
Does anyone know of an "inline" product that would act like a check

valve,
would work in a horizontal position, and fit my 5/8" id vent hose.

The vent line MUST be able to flow air in both directions. When you fill
the tank, air has to escape out the vent. If you had a check valve that
prevented this then you would have a terrible time filling the tank.

They make some nice shut off systems that involve a floating ball that

plugs
the vent when gas enters the vent line. These need to be installed at

least
at a 45 degree angle in order to work, so if you don't have room for that
then you may be out of luck.

I think your best bet is to simply not fill the tanks so full.

Rod

LD

Thank you,
I'll check out the product at West (and I don't mind "being careful" while
filling if it can get me another 20 miles or so of range.
The previous owner said he uses one tank until empty then he knows he has
enough to get back. Good idea except it's almost 12 miles to the pass
before I even start fishing in the gulf. In other words, a 24 mile round
trip to the pass and back @ 2mpg, uses up one tank if I put in only the
12gal the prev. owner suggested.
LD

"Lawrence James" wrote in message
. net...
West marine has an inline vent check valve that uses a float to close it
when the gas reaches it. I put one on mine to try to cure a similar
problem. Trouble is that now it comes back out the fill line if I'm not
careful.

"LD" wrote in message
. net...
Does anyone know of an "inline" product that would act like a check

valve,
would work in a horizontal position, and fit my 5/8" id vent hose. I

have
saddle tanks and the vent is only 4 inches or so above the top of the

tank.
When I fill them full (two, 18 gal tanks) I wind up with spilled fuel

out
the vents, all down the side of the boat (and in the water).

I was thinking of a pcv valve reversed, but even that seems to want to

work
only in a vertical position.
Thanks in advance.
LD

MIDEMETZ

There use to be a product that you stuck to the side of the boat under the vent
opening while fueling. It would capture the spill. There is also a whistle
thing that you can put in the vent line at the tank. It is suppose to work by
whistling until fuel gets to it, I've never seen one but several people swear
by them.

Why is there a problem with routing the vent hose above the vent opening then
back down?

Mike

LD

I only have about 3" from the top of the alum. fill and vent tubes (to
attach the hose to) before I reach the underside of the gunwale. The vent
hose currently does immediately take a bend coming out of the tank and goes
down an inch or so to the fitting through the hull.

I think I may have found the answer on Perko's website--a combination
fill/vent with an anti-surge valve built in. I'm going to call them Monday.
(crossing fingers!!)

LD

"MIDEMETZ" wrote in message
There use to be a product that you stuck to the side of the boat under the

vent
opening while fueling. It would capture the spill. There is also a

whistle
thing that you can put in the vent line at the tank. It is suppose to

work by
whistling until fuel gets to it, I've never seen one but several people

swear
by them.

Why is there a problem with routing the vent hose above the vent opening

then
back down?

Mike

DSK

LD wrote:
Actually, all of the standard vents I've seen do have a screen at the
exterior portion of the vent to keep the bugs out.

Yes, I've seen that a lot too. Doesn't make it a good idea (and the ABYC
still takes a dim view).

The idea of routing the vent hose above the opening sounds good.

If you need more tankage, putting in a bladder in an unused bilge pocket
might help. Get more weight down low too. I am planning on doing that on
our boat.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
Why Ficht failed no1 K Smith General 53 January 26th 04 07:46 PM
fuel delivery problem on outboard? help Russell Hermansen General 9 October 7th 03 01:40 AM
engine paint in fuel system David Ward General 0 August 20th 03 04:20 AM
Inboard won't run above 2800 RPM John M Murphy General 2 August 18th 03 05:27 PM