mike

Default need a carburator for a mercury outboard.

Hi, I need a carburator for a 1986 or 87 or maybe an 88 V-6 200
Mercury. Will a carb off a mariner of the same size and year work.
The motor has cowling that is in two pieces and they swing out. What
range of model year mercury and mariner outboard carbs should I look
for.
Mikkilla

Mike why not just rebuild the carb 2 strokes are easy to rebuild if you go used
or start messing around with differnt motor carbs you could end up to lean and
lean seize the engine. Carb kits are a lot cheaper, unless your 100% sure that
it your carb its self that is messed up. and even then look in to what the
price would be you would be surpised some carbs aren't that bad.

In article ,
says...

Hi, I need a carburator for a 1986 or 87 or maybe an 88 V-6 200
Mercury. Will a carb off a mariner of the same size and year work.
The motor has cowling that is in two pieces and they swing out. What
range of model year mercury and mariner outboard carbs should I look
for.

LD

When you say you need "a" carb, do you mean only one or all three. Are you
missing a carb or is it not working correctly? I have an '88, 200hp Merc
and can tell you it gets complex. There is a # stamped on each carb. The
#'s may be different on one to another. There are two types of intake
manifolds (vertical or horizontal reed blocks). There may (or should) be a
larger main jet in the barrels that feed cylinders 2 and 5 for some # carbs.
Even if you have the correct carb, the main jet size could run from around
..072 to .086 (again, if I remember right). If you run too lean, you could
cost yourself thousands of $

om...

Age of Mercury outboard Sam General 6 March 11th 04 09:35 AM
Mercury outboard carburetors Rod McInnis General 5 March 6th 04 03:00 AM
Mercury Outboard Overheating Chunky General 20 January 25th 04 03:11 PM
Very Old (Pre 1950 ?) Mercury Outboard Impeller Problem Phill General 3 November 20th 03 11:23 AM
Age of old mercury outboard Anders General 3 July 29th 03 01:04 PM