Steve Cramer

Drew Cutter wrote:
Is your camelback apart of your pfd or a separate ?

It's a Stohlquist accessory pocket that I've jury rigged to the back of
my Palm and Extrasport PFDs, with a Platypus bladder inside.

Steve Cramer wrote:

Drew Cutter wrote:

Steve why do you put water in the camelback over a water bottle ? and
not gookinade in the camelback.

I use the camelback because it ensures I'll drink constantly, not just
when I have time to pop the skirt. And I think I need about twice as
much plain water (50 oz reservoir) as I do Gookinade (22 oz bike bottle).

Steve Cramer wrote:

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Drew Cutter wrote:

Any suggestion on what energy drinks to put in my hydration pack ?
What about snacks for energy ?

I've been using Gookinaid since the 70's.

Yeah, that's pretty good stuff. One important thing, at least for
me, is not just the energy, but the electrolyte replacement. I got
myself into a really bad state once: drank plenty of water, didn't
eat much, and ended up cramping all over. Couldn't even take my
paddle jacket off at the takeout, hands wouldn't let go. Since I've
started taking a Camelbak of water and a bottle of Gatorade or
Gookinade, no problems

Steve

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA
Brian Nystrom

Drew Cutter wrote:
Is your camelback apart of your pfd or a separate ?

It's in a neoprene pouch I made that attaches to the back of my PFD.
Brian Nystrom

John Fereira wrote:

Never heard of Gookinade.

When my son was sick awhile back and we were concerned about dehydration his
doctor recommended Powerade instead of Gatorade. It's not as sweet but
otherwise has all the same good stuff in it and hydrates just as well.

Gookinaid is actually used in hospitals as an "oral IV" for rehydrating
people. The new name of the product is "Hydrolyte", which is proably how
it would be known in hospitals.
Bill Tuthill

John Fereira wrote:

Never heard of Gookinade.

When my son was sick awhile back and we were concerned about dehydration his
doctor recommended Powerade instead of Gatorade. It's not as sweet but
otherwise has all the same good stuff in it and hydrates just as well.

Gookinade is much more effective for me than Gatorade, because Gookinade
is much higher in potassium, whereas Gatorade contains sodium and sugar
with hardly any potassium. Without potassium I get headaches.

Avocados, bananas, and Clif Bars contain goodly amounts of potassium.
Another highly effective strategy is to bring potassium salt for dinner.

Haven't used Powerade.