Dr. Dr. K. Grear

Default Coastal Fortification on the Gulf of Mexico

I found this great web site showing the Coastal Fortification on the Gulf of
Mexico.

http://andy_bennett.home.mindspring.com/coastal.html

Dr. Dr. K. Grear wrote:
I found this great web site showing the Coastal Fortification on the

Gulf of
Mexico.

http://andy_bennett.home.mindspring.com/coastal.html

Fort DeSoto is a great place. I used to go there and night fish off of
the pier, wander around the fort, etc. You can also watch the ships
coming into Tampa Bay there, it's the area where the harbor pilots
board.

All made obsolete by the development of the aircraft carrier.

There is a "triangle of fire" at the eastern end of the Strait of Juan
de Fuca, where Coastal Artillery Forts Worden, Flagler, and Casey
all protected the Bremerton Navy Yard and cities on Puget Sound from
naval bombardment or invasion. By taking a bearing on a target from
three different locations
it is possible to get a precise fix and improve the accuracy of
artillery.

All three are now state parks, with decent moorage at Worden and
Flagler. The batteries at Worden were built about the same time the US
was building, (and fortifying) the Panama Canal and they just sent the
plans to Washington and said, "Here, build this.." The batteries at
Worden duplicate the gun emplacements built along the Panama Canal.

HIstorical trivia: The original commander of the installations was an
officer named Worden, ( the fort was renamed for him after he retired).
Worden had a long career, as he was the artilleryman in charge of the
guns on the USS Monitor during the Civil War and ended up head of the
Coastal Artillery in the Pacific NW about 30 years later.

Dr. Dr. K. Grear

Another great fort is Fort McHenry. http://www.nps.gov/fomc/

The fort was only used for defense during the War of 1812, but it was used
as a prison for such notables as Dr. Mudd (doctor who treated John W. Booth
and where the expression "Your name is Mudd" originated) and Geronimo.

They give tours to Ft. McHenry from Key West.

wrote in message
ups.com...