Geert Maene

Default from North Carolina to Miami

I want to sail from New Bern NC to Miami in October. Does anyone know
what wind that I can expect. (Force an direction)
Jim Lea

The pilot charts suggest Force 4 NNE. But that's just an average. Better to
just pay close attention to the forecast and (assuming you're going outside)
go on favourable forecasts, which would be any wind from the N-W quadrant.

"Geert Maene" wrote in message
I want to sail from New Bern NC to Miami in October. Does anyone know
what wind that I can expect. (Force an direction)

didereaux

"Geert Maene" wrote in message
I want to sail from New Bern NC to Miami in October. Does anyone know
what wind that I can expect. (Force an direction)

"Jim Lea" wrote in news
The pilot charts suggest Force 4 NNE. But that's just an average.
Better to just pay close attention to the forecast and (assuming
you're going outside) go on favourable forecasts, which would be any
wind from the N-W quadrant.

Two concerns rule here,the remains of the summer Bermuda high are the
cause for the prevailing NNEasterlies, but it is getting late in the
season and your main worry are lows forming in the west and strengthening
rapidly while moving east. As the previous post noted watch those
forecasts.

The other concern, and it is a serious one, is tropical storms, September
and October are the peak months for those to hit the East Coast, whereas
the early summer favors the Gulf Coast.

You probably won't be too far off the coast, though the Gulf Stream will
set that parameter, so at the first sign of a low approaching you can
either make for safe harbor or go farther to sea...depending upon your
craft and skills.

All said and done it isn't too bad a time frame.

--
"Let bygones be bygones...send a concilliatory PRETZEL to the
Whitehouse!"