ian whitcombe

Default First time launch - Engine conks out - WHY ?

Hi,

Today I launched my new Shetland 570 (new to me, not the previous 50
owners!). I have a Force 40 outboard on the back and this started
first time with the electric start. I left it in idle for around 5
minutes and then gently backed out into the river. After about 20
seconds, the engine just died on me. Nothing I could do would get it
going again. Luckily, the boat drifted to a quay and I was able to tie
up and a friendly chap with a tug took me to a safe mooring. Once the
engine had died, it would turn over but not catch. I had the engine
serviced a month ago and have run it every two weeks for 5 minutes or
so since. The vent of the petrol can was open, the primer ball was
hard and petrol seemed to be getting to the engine. The kill switch
was set to on (as in not killed) and I had plenty of petrol. I used
the choke when trying to start it and left it an hour in between tries
in case I'd flooded it. Still nothing doing. Does anybody have any
idea what I might have done wrong ? Do I need let it idle longer ? Or
could it be that albatross I shot before we set off !!

Cheers

Ian.
Tony Thomas

Only way to know would be to check the plugs. If they are wet then you know
you have fuel. Then check for ignition. My guess is you don't have any.
Could be a bad wire from the kill switch, power pack, or any number of
things. You will have to start narrowing it down or just take to a shop and
let them.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"ian whitcombe" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On 7 Mar 2004 16:49:30 -0800, (ian
whitcombe) wrote:

[...]

You didn't mention checking for spark which would be my suspicion.
Probably a loose spark wire or even loose plugs (had that happen
once). You might want to check the kill switch - engage and disengage
it. I have a 25 horse Evinrude that just loves to play that little
trick on me.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)