mike hicks

Default alpha shift

OK, what did I do wrong? I replaced my Alpha drive waterpump and now
the clinker stalls going into forward. It goes in reverse just fine but
dies in forward. It almost seems like it's binding up going in forward
but it might just be the ignition cut-out switch killing the engine. I
don't know. I did readjust the shift linkage at the carburetor but it
still does it. It was working fine in both directions prior to the
waterpump change by the way. Ah, it must be close to boating season -
I'm starting to go crazy!

mike
Lawrence James

Have you done an alpha before? I find it to be a pain as a lot of stuff has
to be lined up right when it goes back together. Did you follow the
instructions and put the drive in forward and apply pressure to the prop
shaft to hold the gears in forward while you put the lower unit back on? It
is important to do that as it keeps the shift shaft in the right spot. The
shift shaft is a splined shaft and can engage in more that one spot. I've
also had the shift linkage drop down in the upper unit. That is easy to
check with the drive tilted up and looking from under it.

You can disconnect the shift interrupt switch on the shift plate to see if
it is killing it when you put it in forward. It will be really hard to get
out of gear with the shift interrupt disconnected. There is a correct way
to adjust the shift linkage in the manual and you need to follow it so that
the interrupt works right. I would not mess with it until I had tried
disconnecting the interrupt switch to see if that is the problem. The
linkage at the carb is just throttle, the shift linkage does not go to the
carb.