Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Leader length for trolling

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:04:00 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 04:15:43 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

Well maybe John can do a scientific study on rock fish and see if he notices
any change between the short leader and the long one. : )

John, let us know what happens.

You got it.

Make sure that you have at least twelve references, properly annotated
and cross referenced with illustrations.

Then we can all sit back and say "Well, in MY experience..." :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)
John H

wrote:

Well maybe John can do a scientific study on rock fish and see if he notices
any change between the short leader and the long one. : )

John, let us know what happens.

You got it.

Make sure that you have at least twelve references, properly annotated
and cross referenced with illustrations.

Then we can all sit back and say "Well, in MY experience..." :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

Do I have to provide pictures of me kissing the (striped) bass?

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Bert Robbins

"John H" wrote in message

Do I have to provide pictures of me kissing the (striped) bass?

No, kissing rockfish is easy, kissing blue fish taks a real man

Bert

John H

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:06:04 -0500, "Bert Robbins"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .

Do I have to provide pictures of me kissing the (striped) bass?

No, kissing rockfish is easy, kissing blue fish taks a real man

Bert

LOL! Imagine french kissing a bluefish.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Paul Schilter

John,
I do know that in fly fishing a long leader that is hard for the fish to
see is preferred. This is because the actual line is very heavy an visible.
Different type of fish and techniques require different tackle combinations.
Muskie usually requires a metal leader but I'm sure that others would rig
their gear differently.
Paul

"John Smith" wrote in message
SWF,
From you smile, I assume your rant was not an attack on anyone, but just

a misconception that many people have. If the leader is not used to

create
a more attractive "bait" for the fish to hit, what is the reason for the
leader? I understand that a metal leader is used to stop the fish from
cutting the line, but why use a 25 ft leader? In my ignorance, I have
always thought the long leader line was used because it was invisible in

the
water, and would look more like a bait fish instead of bait being dragged
though the water.

Is your suggestion that John H. can just use a 2 ft. leader instead of his
30 ft. leader he has been using?

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in

message
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:14:41 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

For some reason I thought it was because the leader was less visable to

the
fish, so they are less likely to be spooked.

Oh oh - I feel a rant coming on. :)

I've always been interested in the whole "spook the fish" concept
because I believe it's a superstitution or rational for a poor day on
the water not catching fish.

The whole point of using a bait or attractor is to trigger a fish into
striking. It seems counter intuitive that the same bait would "spook"
a fish into not striking.

Fish don't take bait for any number of other reasons, but "spooking"
fish isn't one of them.

Whew - I got my point across with a rant - Dude!!!!

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

Well maybe John can do a scientific study on rock fish and see if he notices
any change between the short leader and the long one. : )

John, let us know what happens.

You got it.

Make sure that you have at least twelve references, properly annotated
and cross referenced with illustrations.

Then we can all sit back and say "Well, in MY experience..." :)

Do I have to provide pictures of me kissing the (striped) bass?

On the first date?

Hell no!!! :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:06:04 -0500, "Bert Robbins"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .

Do I have to provide pictures of me kissing the (striped) bass?

No, kissing rockfish is easy, kissing blue fish taks a real man

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)
Del Cecchi

snip

I have a source close to me for good dacron line - I'll give it a try
this summer.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

I thought that with the advent of spectra that dacron line was pretty much
obsolete. Do folks still use it?

del cecchi

first boat length pmiller General 11 March 5th 04 06:49 PM
Birthdate of Norman Maclean Harry Krause General 1 December 24th 03 12:05 AM
Our Great Leader Delivers on His Promises! General 1 September 9th 03 07:24 PM