gjoyce

Default Any truth to urban/marine myth?

I swear I can remember reading this somewhere a long time ago, but ...

Guys are running a small (18-or-so) boat out an inlet on the West
Coast. They hit something floating and punch a hole in the bow ...
water rushes in ... big waterman throws the throttle full forward,
turns boat for shore and chops hole in stern for flow-through ... (for
some reason I recall it being an adventure about some West Coast or
Hawaiian surf stud, or some such)

Boat makes it home safely.

1) has anyone heard this one beside me?
2) Is it true ?
3) Could it be true?

I happen to have some time on my hands today ... and it's the first
day I've worn
my Docksiders without socks this winter ..

Gary
Rod McInnis

"gjoyce" wrote in message
m...

1) has anyone heard this one beside me?

Never heard of it

2) Is it true ?

There may have been some true event that inspired the fable, but I doubt
that the story is accurate. How do you manage to chop a hole in the stern of
a boat while underway? What happens when you stop?

3) Could it be true?

With a few tweaks, I suppose. Get the boat up on plane, remove the drain
plug (assuming it is in the transom and not thru the bottom) and any water
in the boat will flow out. If the unintended hole is above the water line
while on plane, you could keep your boat essentially dry as long as you were
on plane.

It is a fairly common occurance for people to launch their runabout without
putting the plug in first. This is generally noticed when the driver's feet
start getting wet. At this point, the usual strategy it to get the boat up
on plane and let all the water run out, then figure out what you are going
to do about the plug.

Rod

Don ßâiley

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
It pays to have a passenger in the rear of the boat so you get an earlier
warning.

-W

Not if it's your Mom and sister and they're wondering what
that water is doing around their feet but are too afraid to say
anything. (first or second trip out, as I recall)

Time: ~1976
Place: Silver Lake, Ocracoke Island, NC

db

p.s.

Pulling a 17' runabout (full of water) out of the water
with a '72 Pontiac catalina is quite a chore. Too bad
they didn't have cam corders around in those days.
I miss the car, glad to be rid of the boat.

Capt Lou

I know someone who hit struck a buoy about a mile away from his dock at night
and punched a hole in his bow. The skipper made it back to the travelift by
turning the boat around and driving in REVERSE!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
basskisser

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message
Send this to Mythbusters - it sounds like a perfect experiment for
them.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...thbusters.html

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

Ah, Mythbusters, the only thing decent to come out of the S.F. bay
area, well, that and Anchor Steam beer! Oh, and my wife!!! And a shout
to Parsons, he's a good egg, invited me to have a beer with him during
a visit, wish I'd have had the time.