John H

Default OT on IRAQ

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:52:06 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

NOYB wrote:

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...
"Calif Bill" wrote in message

I very much doubt the fee's are 10%. Looked at the prices in Costa

Rica?

Again, I know fact doesn't mean anything to you but:

http://www.cocori.com/library/life/med1.htm

According to your link, implants in Costa Rica cost $750-800. In the
states, they cost $1200-1800. (We're talking about the implant...not the
abutment, and not the crown). That means they're about 50-65%...not 10% as
you claimed.

My dentist and friend showed me a catalog of implant posts from some
company with the word "Gold" in its name...or something like that. The
posts were something like $125 each...titanium. This was six or seven
years ago. I wasn't shopping, but I was curious about the procedure.

The procedure is no fun, especially if they have to do a "sinus lift."

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Harry Krause

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I have no idea what a sinus lift is...care to elucidate?
bb

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:44:26 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

According to your link, implants in Costa Rica cost $750-800. In the
states, they cost $1200-1800. (We're talking about the implant...not the
abutment, and not the crown). That means they're about 50-65%...not 10% as
you claimed.

Well, like it or not, I think offshore medical and dental care could
become a big thing in the future. Maybe, as you say, the quality is
hit and miss right now. It would appear there's a large market
potential for marketing cheaper medical and dental services by our
close neighbors. Certainly one such as yourself, who's relatively
early in a career, has a lot to be concerned about. Auto and steel
workers may not be the only ones who's life is adversely affected by
cheap foreign labor.

bb

NOYB

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

I very much doubt the fee's are 10%. Looked at the prices in Costa

Rica?

Again, I know fact doesn't mean anything to you but:

http://www.cocori.com/library/life/med1.htm

According to your link, implants in Costa Rica cost $750-800. In the
states, they cost $1200-1800. (We're talking about the implant...not

the
abutment, and not the crown). That means they're about 50-65%...not 10%

as
you claimed.

My dentist and friend showed me a catalog of implant posts from some
company with the word "Gold" in its name...or something like that.

Sterngold.

I don't know anybody that uses them, however.

The
posts were something like $125 each...titanium.

They're actually even cheaper than that. About $80-90.

Add another $20 for the impression post, $16 for the analog, $75 for the
UCLA coping, $25 for the healing abutment, $75 for the lab-fabricated
temporary, $50 for the cost of the gold (used with the UCLA coping), and a
lab bill of about $250 for the crown and custom abutment.

That's about $600...and Sterngold is the flat-out cheapest on the market.
The implants my surgeons use are about 3 or 4 times as expensive...the
surfaces aren't machined, but acid-etched...which gives better
osseointegration.

This was six or seven
years ago. I wasn't shopping, but I was curious about the procedure.

John H

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I'm not 100% sure what it is, but I'll tell you what I think it
was. Maybe NOYB will jump in and elucidate my elucidation.

I think there is not enough room in the mouth for the teeth to close
properly when the implants, screws, caps, crowns, etc. are installed..
So room must be made by raising the upper bone in which the teeth
root. This is done by placing a metal punch against the bone and
literally beating it upwards with a metal hammer. Of course, you've
had shots to deaden the pain (yeah, right!), so theoretically this
shouldn't hurt. But it did. And for the next 24 hours my head felt as
though someone were still going at it with a jackhammer, albeit a
small one.

And then the procedure had to be repeated on the other side of the
mouth. I just couldn't wait for that appointment.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

NOYB

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
I very much doubt the fee's are 10%. Looked at the prices in Costa
Rica?

Again, I know fact doesn't mean anything to you but:

http://www.cocori.com/library/life/med1.htm

According to your link, implants in Costa Rica cost $750-800. In the
states, they cost $1200-1800. (We're talking about the implant...not

the
abutment, and not the crown). That means they're about 50-65%...not 10%

as
you claimed.

My dentist and friend showed me a catalog of implant posts from some
company with the word "Gold" in its name...or something like that. The
posts were something like $125 each...titanium. This was six or seven
years ago. I wasn't shopping, but I was curious about the procedure.

The procedure is no fun, especially if they have to do a "sinus lift."

The procedure isn't too bad when the bone is solid and doesn't need ridge or
sinus augmentation.

John H

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Now go back and correct what I told him about a "sinus lift."

Thanks.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
NOYB

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

When there's not enough bone left in the maxilla (upper arch) to place an
implant of sufficient length, the surgeon lifts the membrane at the floor of
the sinus, and places bone grafting material (cadaver, autogenous, bovine,
synthetic, etc) iunderneath the membrane in the space he/she created. This
gives the surgeon enough bone thickness to place a sufficiently long implant
in the area...so that it doesn't protrude into the sinus space.

John H

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

PS. At the time I had three different dental policies, none of which
would cover any of the costs associated with implants. I did get a
nice tax deduction out of it though. The dentist allowed (hell, he
loved it) to pay in advance so that all the expenditures were done in
one year.

Also, this was probably due to smoking 2-3 packs per day of cigarettes
for about 39 years, and having had all the periodontal problems that
go with same.
John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
John H

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 01:14:57 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

.. .

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

That's what they all say!