Wayne.B

Default OT - A quote from my favorite English professor...

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:57:49 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:
"I don't expect you'll hear me writing any poems to the greater
glory of Ronald and Nancy Reagan."

Robert Penn Warren, on being appointed the first U.S. Poet
Laureate, this day in 1986.

===============================

I had a distinct (but apparently incorrect) impression that Robert
Frost had served as Poet Laureate under Kennedy. A little digging
around on Google turned up the following off topic information:

"The Poet Laureate is appointed annually by the Librarian of Congress
and serves from October to May. In making the appointment, the
Librarian consults with former appointees, the current Laureate and
distinguished poetry critics. The position has existed under two
separate titles: from 1937 to 1986 as “Consultant in Poetry to the
Library of Congress” and from 1986 forward as “Poet Laureate
Consultant in Poetry.” The name was changed by an act of Congress in
1985."

So in reality the position in question has existed since 1937 but
under two different names. And Robert Frost did indeed hold the
position under its old name in 1958 and 1959. I seem to recall having
heard him referred to as "the national poet laureate" at Kennedy's
inaugaration however.

Harry Krause

wrote:
[...]

I believe you are absolutely correct, regarding your comment about Frost
at the Kennedy inaugural, but I disagree as to "Consultant in Poetry"
having the same meaning as "Poet Laureate," though I grant that Frost
was a giant and deserved the laureate title. Robert Penn Warren, by the
way, held *both* titles.

Robert Penn Warren was both a teacher of mine, and my graduate faculty
advisor. In reality, he didn't have much time for me, but I did get to
meet with him privately a few times.

The Brits have a much longer history of poets laureate, and its list
includes a few that are the absolute giants poetry, including Dryden,
Southey, Wordsworth and Tennyson.

I spent a decent portion of my life frittering away time chasing an M.A.
in English lit, and I loved every minute of it. I think I read
everything Thomas Chatterton wrote, including some of his letters, and
he died very young. I've always been delighted I managed to avoid
following a trade school path in college.
Tuuk

This all explains your ability to dream there Scarry Harry,, but trying to
run a country and being fiscally responsible is a little different than
writing a poem or even claiming to be the smartest person in the last
century.
Come on there Scarry,, your not too smart are ya. I mean, surely your good
at poetry, surely you can read a book, surely you will watch the oscars on
Sunday but I bet you never had to balance the books for a firm, or keep your
firm profitable and keep wolves from the door or your competitors running
for the money.
No , I think it is obvious that your knowledge is in fictional topics and
not reality. It surely is visible in your opinions. But Scarry Harry, this
is why you are not the president or will never be, you simply haven't the
knowledge in those areas to add value to such a position.
I mean you could probably write a book about tragedy or frost walking to a
church after losing his love ,, I know,, I read the book back during my
education but like most, I didn't pay attention to poetry, there are too
many realistics that I focused my energies and attention to like the
realities of the education system and the world. You keep reading your
fiction and soon the aliens will land and save us all. You were probably on
a union your whole life so you never had to compete or worry about eating. I
bet you were a government employee, probably a teacher.
Dont question my education there scarry harry, I will bet dollars to
donuts,,, ( well thats your level) or I will bet you a thousand U.S. dollars
that I hold more degrees and diplomas than you. And Scarry Harry,, I will
bet you also that I am at least half your age. You get an independent person
we can both trust, you give him/her the thousand (if you can afford it) and
I will do the same and meet you anywhere in western NY or Southern Ontario
or where ever you are, and I will collect. I think it is obvious anyway.

Poetry,,,,, lol,,, that explains a lot. Ya,, you can always refer to
Shakespeare for all the worlds problem,, tragedy,,, LOL,,, Harry your the
limit..
Robert Frost,,, LOL,,, Penn,,, LOL,,, this explains a lot. I thought your
university advisor didn't have a lot of time for advising you, it is clearly
obviously you missed out in the guidance so desperately required. A mind is
a terrible thing to waste.
LOL,,,

wrote:
[...]

Wayne.B

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:51:57 -0500, " Tuuk"
wrote:
I thought your
university advisor didn't have a lot of time for advising you, it is clearly
obviously you missed out in the guidance so desperately required. A mind is
a terrible thing to waste.

=============================

And your field of expertise is what?

Charles

Harry Krause wrote:

Robert Penn Warren was both a teacher of mine, and my graduate faculty
advisor. In reality, he didn't have much time for me, but I did get to
meet with him privately a few times.

LOL! Gawd, it never stops with you.

My sense of self-worth is a result of __________.

(Fill in with your choice

My having a beautiful wife.
Meeting President _________ .
Owning _________ brand of boat.
Living in __________ .
Donating _______ to charity each year.
Going to __________ college.
Being able to write better than you.
Having a __________ college degree.
Having written ___________ .
Being a member of _________ union.
Having an intelligent wife.
My father owning a big boatyard that I sold for 3MM in a month.
Donating my mother's estate to charity.
Being smarter than you.
Having worked for ________ .
President _________ offering me a job.
Sailing around Cape Horn.
Owning ____ boats in my life.
Having met ________ famous person.
My wife being 20 years younger than me.
Your being dumber than me.
Owning a ________ brand _______ .

....and the list goes on. And on.

-- Charlie

Jim--

wrote:
I thought your
university advisor didn't have a lot of time for advising you, it is

clearly
obviously you missed out in the guidance so desperately required. A mind

is
a terrible thing to waste.

=============================

And your field of expertise is what?

First support your question by showing us what your field of expertise is.

Are you really qualified to assess Tuuk's alleged expertise??

Harry Krause

wrote:
I thought your
university advisor didn't have a lot of time for advising you, it is

clearly
obviously you missed out in the guidance so desperately required. A mind

is
a terrible thing to waste.

=============================

And your field of expertise is what?

First support your question by showing us what your field of expertise is.

Are you really qualified to assess Tuuk's alleged expertise??

Tuuk is an expert in near-incoherence.
Harry Krause

Tuuk wrote:

I read the book back during my
education

You should have read the book a few more times, and then checked out
some more books.
Wayne.B

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:11:24 -0500, "Jim--" wrote:

Are you really qualified to assess Tuuk's alleged expertise??

I'll let you know after he tells us what it is.

:-)