JAXAshby

Default german sub base, LIS

"On 8 October 1916 Fanning put out of Newport, R.I., to search for the crews of
ships sunk not far from Nantucket Light

Ship by the German submarine U-58. The destroyer recovered six survivors and
landed them at Newport the next day. The presence of U-58 led to the
speculation that a secret German submarine base might exist in the Long Island
Sound-Block Island Sound area;"
DSK

On 24 Feb 2004 23:43:12 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:
"On 8 October 1916 Fanning put out of Newport, R.I., to search for the crews of
ships sunk not far from Nantucket Light

Ship by the German submarine U-58. The destroyer recovered six survivors and
landed them at Newport the next day. The presence of U-58 led to the
speculation that a secret German submarine base might exist in the Long Island
Sound-Block Island Sound area;"

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
U-853 - 41º 13.606' / 71º 25.119'

Later

Here are some more details

http://uboat.net/boats/u853.htm

Perhaps a bit of further explanation, to those who have followed some of
JAXAshby's posts in the past... recently in another discussion he
claimed that a U-boat had been sunk by the USCG in Long Island Sound and
was the cause of much unjustified bragging by the USCG, that a U-boat
had patrolled the Potomac River and was a charted obstruction there, and
that a Japanese submarine had shelled Seattle and that this last
incident was 'well known.' It turns out that there may be a smattering
of near-truth in some of this, but my reaction was that this was one of
Jax's funniest posts in a while.

Just thought I'd share.... and it is vaguely related to boats.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Wayne.B

One thing is indisputable: The U-boats did track, and sink, merchant
convoys leaving NY harbor for Europe. The press accounts are well
documented and I have met people who grew up on the New Jersey shore
in that era. Finding bodys on the beach was a regular event.
========================
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:14:48 -0500, DSK wrote:

[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:29:33 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

One thing is indisputable: The U-boats did track, and sink, merchant
convoys leaving NY harbor for Europe. The press accounts are well
documented and I have met people who grew up on the New Jersey shore
in that era. Finding bodys on the beach was a regular event.

My mother, who was a CG radio operator, was stationed at the famous
Cape Cod CG Radio and often told stories of sending and receiving
submarine reports up and down the East Coast during WWII.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Basic Fishing Program:

10 - Fish
20 - Eat
30 - Sleep
40 - Goto 10

-rick-

"DSK" wrote...

Perhaps a bit of further explanation, to those who have followed some of
JAXAshby's posts in the past... recently in another discussion he
claimed that a U-boat had been sunk by the USCG in Long Island Sound and
was the cause of much unjustified bragging by the USCG, that a U-boat
had patrolled the Potomac River and was a charted obstruction there, and
that a Japanese submarine had shelled Seattle and that this last
incident was 'well known.' It turns out that there may be a smattering
of near-truth in some of this, but my reaction was that this was one of
Jax's funniest posts in a while.

I vaguely remember seeing reports that a Japanese sub launched some kind of
balloon carried bomb off the coast of Oregon during WWII. If I recall correctly
it landed in the forest of southern Oregon, was discovered by hikers and caused
casualties when they accidentally set it off.

A quick search turned up the following....

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/wwii/jbb.htm

http://www.stelzriede.com/ms/html/mshwfug2.htm

I thought they were launched from a sub but apparently they were released from
Japan!

-rick-

Bob

wrote:

One thing is indisputable: The U-boats did track, and sink, merchant
convoys leaving NY harbor for Europe. The press accounts are well
documented and I have met people who grew up on the New Jersey shore
in that era. Finding bodys on the beach was a regular event.

the book 'torpedo alley' documents the anti-sub activities of the USCG
and the USCG auxiliary in ww2...the navy was largely absent since adm.
king decided anti-sub warfare was defensive in nature, rather than
offensive...

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field
Dave Hall

wrote:

One thing is indisputable: The U-boats did track, and sink, merchant
convoys leaving NY harbor for Europe. The press accounts are well
documented and I have met people who grew up on the New Jersey shore
in that era. Finding bodys on the beach was a regular event.

My father was an avid wreck fisherman in the 1960's, and I still have
the book he had which charted the various wrecks off the Jersey shore.
There are more than one or two that were sunk as a result of "enemy
sub" activity. The tanker Varanger is one that comes to mind.

Dave
Parallax

"-rick-" wrote in message ...
"DSK" wrote...

[...]

During WW2, my mother being about 13 yrs old then lived on the upper
east coast of Florida. She remembers going out to the beach to watch
a torpedoed tanker burning not too far away.

A year or so later, my father who had just made Lt in the navy was put
in charge of an armed shrimpboat operating out of Mayport, Fl looking
for subs. He said that if they had ever found one thye would have
been goners cause all they had was a 50 cal. machine gun and a single
depth charge.
Chuck Tribolet

On 09 Sep 42 and 29 Sep 42, a seaplane from a the Japanese submarine
I-25 dropped incendiaries over the Oregon forests. Maybe that's what you
were thinking of.
--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"DSK" wrote...