Parallax

Default german sub base, LIS

"-rick-" wrote in message ...
"DSK" wrote...

Perhaps a bit of further explanation, to those who have followed some of
JAXAshby's posts in the past... recently in another discussion he
claimed that a U-boat had been sunk by the USCG in Long Island Sound and
was the cause of much unjustified bragging by the USCG, that a U-boat
had patrolled the Potomac River and was a charted obstruction there, and
that a Japanese submarine had shelled Seattle and that this last
incident was 'well known.' It turns out that there may be a smattering
of near-truth in some of this, but my reaction was that this was one of
Jax's funniest posts in a while.

I vaguely remember seeing reports that a Japanese sub launched some kind of
balloon carried bomb off the coast of Oregon during WWII. If I recall correctly
it landed in the forest of southern Oregon, was discovered by hikers and caused
casualties when they accidentally set it off.

A quick search turned up the following....

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/wwii/jbb.htm

http://www.stelzriede.com/ms/html/mshwfug2.htm

I thought they were launched from a sub but apparently they were released from
Japan!

-rick-

During WW2, my mother being about 13 yrs old then lived on the upper
east coast of Florida. She remembers going out to the beach to watch
a torpedoed tanker burning not too far away.

A year or so later, my father who had just made Lt in the navy was put
in charge of an armed shrimpboat operating out of Mayport, Fl looking
for subs. He said that if they had ever found one thye would have
been goners cause all they had was a 50 cal. machine gun and a single
depth charge.