AB

Default Can Someone Recommend Intro to Boating-Power?

Hey folks,

My wife and I are looking to start out with a small 17 foot boat (100
horse or better) and work up to a 50+ foot motor yacht, but we have
little experience on the water so far. We have rented a 17 foot (75
horse) boat several times on the local lake here in AZ, and things
were fine, but we want more knowledge about controlling the craft in
various conditions, safety and so on. We feel a natural understanding
of working the boat, but we know that's not enough. Neither of us
were brought up with sailing or any kind of boating, so we need to
compensate with training and study.

Can anyone suggest books, courses or anything else?

Thanks much!
FishFan

AB wrote in message . ..
Hey folks,

My wife and I are looking to start out with a small 17 foot boat (100
horse or better) and work up to a 50+ foot motor yacht, but we have
little experience on the water so far. We have rented a 17 foot (75
horse) boat several times on the local lake here in AZ, and things
were fine, but we want more knowledge about controlling the craft in
various conditions, safety and so on. We feel a natural understanding
of working the boat, but we know that's not enough. Neither of us
were brought up with sailing or any kind of boating, so we need to
compensate with training and study.

Can anyone suggest books, courses or anything else?

Thanks much!

Wow, You're starting small and seeking to learn how to handle a boat
safely? That certainly puts you in the minority - albeit a very smart
minority. Starting with a single engine outborad powered boat in the
sub 20 ft range is smart - They are the easiest to handle. Take a safe
boating course given by the Coast Guard Auxillary or US Power
Squdrons. This will provide you with the basics of rules of the road,
weather, emergency procedures, safety, etc.

As far as gaining proficiency, I have two suggestions: 1) Some
Professional Captains offer as a service to show you how to handle
your boat This is usually for people who move up to larger more
complex craft, but I'm sure a local captain that charters/guides
smaller craft would help you. Look in local boting or fishing
magazines/papers. Its the only way you can get hands-on instruction
(other the maybe the 20 minutes a dealer will give you if you buy a
new boat).

2) Go boating! Often!! There's nothing like time at the helm. Start
w/ short outings on great weather days and expand your envelope to
include longer outings, and more diverse wether conditions - but
please don't take a 20 footer out in Small Craft Warning weather.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!

FishFan
AB

Excellent suggestions! Thanks for your help and support!

Regards,

AB
Drumm Law

Hey, that's easy.

U.S. Power Squadrons teach a course all over the country . . . 2 hours a night,
once a week for four weeks. Three nights of instruction, last night is the
test. Very high pass rate, as it is not rocket science, but just good common
sense.

Bonus: Most insurance companies give you a discount on your boat insurance if
you have passed this course. (Sales pitch, he Can you take a guess why
those greedy insurance companies do that? Answer: Because it makes you a
safer boat, less risk to them, less liklihood that, out of ignorance, you'll do
something dumb)

Short of that, U.S.P.S. also has a similar program on CD-ROM disk, where you
can study it at home, and at your own pace.

Finally, if all else fails, the boaters' bible for years has been Chapman's
"Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling". Much of the information you
should have is in there . . . although I've always felt it better to be
spoon-fed by experts!

We're up to a 34' boat now, but we started out with a wooden Chris-Craft 14'
kit boat years ago. Joined the Power Squadron when we moved up to a 17'
outboard . . . and I highly recommend their course.

For those interested in learning more advanced skills, the Power Squadron has
courses for its own members on everything from engine maintenance, electrical
systems, to piloting, advanced navigation, etc.

Drop me an e-mail if you'd like to know more.
RG

"AB" wrote in message
Hey folks,

My wife and I are looking to start out with a small 17 foot boat (100
horse or better) and work up to a 50+ foot motor yacht, but we have
little experience on the water so far. We have rented a 17 foot (75
horse) boat several times on the local lake here in AZ, and things
were fine, but we want more knowledge about controlling the craft in
various conditions, safety and so on. We feel a natural understanding
of working the boat, but we know that's not enough. Neither of us
were brought up with sailing or any kind of boating, so we need to
compensate with training and study.

Can anyone suggest books, courses or anything else?

Here's a good place to start, and it's local:

http://www.usps.org/localusps/phoenix/boatcr.htm

Boots Crofoot

The USCGA has small boat handling and safe boating classes.
I use to teach them and they are a lot better than the usps.
Usps leans too much to sail and to navigation. I would look
into the Aux classes. Capt. boots
"RG" wrote in message

"AB" wrote in message
[...]

Capt Frank Hopkins

Hi Capt,

What is your unit number. I hail from 14-8.

--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_