Douglas St. Clair

Default Oil Cooler

Hey there everybody - Happy Spring!!

I'm having my engine rebuilt as we speak (1970 Resorter / Ford 427). The
oil cooler... 18" brass thingy with four plugs (engine oil and transmission
oil). Do these things ever go bad? I'm afraid that if there's a leak in
the heat exchange, I'll be throwing water into the oil. Does it make sense
to replace one that's 30+ years old during the rebuild process? I hate to
spend the money ($200-300), but then again I'm already dishing out a lot for
the engine, so I'd hate to cut corners if it might bite me.

Paranoid -
Doug

Douglas St. Clair

Well, that makes sense (duh on my part). Any idea what kind of shop I could
take it to for a pressure test?

Thanks!

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
.. .
Why not have it pressure tested?

"Douglas St. Clair" wrote in message
Hey there everybody - Happy Spring!!

I'm having my engine rebuilt as we speak (1970 Resorter / Ford 427).

The
oil cooler... 18" brass thingy with four plugs (engine oil and
transmission
oil). Do these things ever go bad? I'm afraid that if there's a leak

in
the heat exchange, I'll be throwing water into the oil. Does it make
sense
to replace one that's 30+ years old during the rebuild process? I hate

spend the money ($200-300), but then again I'm already dishing out a lot
for
the engine, so I'd hate to cut corners if it might bite me.

Paranoid -
Doug

passive solar ventilation Parallax Cruising 13 August 6th 04 03:22 PM
Eliminating the oil cooler on VP 2003T Pascal Goncalves Cruising 14 April 14th 04 12:29 PM
Oil cooler in Turbocharged Engines Pascal Goncalves Boat Building 8 April 14th 04 01:18 AM
Catalina 250 Byron Knight Cruising 46 October 27th 03 05:22 PM
Glovebox / cooler? Clams Canino General 5 August 29th 03 01:30 AM