BoatBanter.com

-   -   Oil Cooler (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/32615-oil-cooler.html)

Douglas St. Clair April 9th 05 06:43 PM

Oil Cooler

Hey there everybody - Happy Spring!!

I'm having my engine rebuilt as we speak (1970 Resorter / Ford 427). The
oil cooler... 18" brass thingy with four plugs (engine oil and transmission
oil). Do these things ever go bad? I'm afraid that if there's a leak in
the heat exchange, I'll be throwing water into the oil. Does it make sense
to replace one that's 30+ years old during the rebuild process? I hate to
spend the money ($200-300), but then again I'm already dishing out a lot for
the engine, so I'd hate to cut corners if it might bite me.

Paranoid -
Doug