Grumman-581

Default Cuban Boating

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

I think I would have been tempted to let them continue on towards the US due
to their creativeness...

Chief3mfc

I'm not one for the open border policy myself, but I gotta agree. Anyone that
can figure out how to make a seaworthy boat out of a 51 Chevy pick-up has what
it takes to succeed here.
Shame that the Coasties sank it.

cliff
Gfretwell

They must get "Junkyard Wars" there.
Grumman-581

"Chief3mfc" wrote ...
I'm not one for the open border policy myself, but I gotta agree. Anyone

that
can figure out how to make a seaworthy boat out of a 51 Chevy pick-up has

what
it takes to succeed here.

That's basically my thoughts on the matter also... I don't believe in open
borders... I believe that you should have to work at it to get into this
country... Making a '51 Chevy pickup able to cross 90 or so miles of sea
seems like they worked at it hard enough... What probably makes it more
impressive is that they probably didn't have the opportunity to do any sort
of shakedown cruises with it... It seems that they made it over halfway...
Too bad the Coasties didn't give them the chance to see if they could make
it the rest of the way... I'm not sure that I would even try that distance
in my boat...

Michael Sutton

"Grumman-581" wrote in message m...
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

I think I would have been tempted to let them continue on towards the US due
to their creativeness...

You should have seen the side pictures of it. (I saw them in a
newspaper so can't offer them online to you.)

They actually did alot of work to this. They welded a frame across
the bed of the truck that was 'outriggers' to support the pontoons
created by the 55 gallon drums. They also somehow coupled the
driveshaft with a propeller. It was pretty interesting.

Would make for a good raft contest entry here in the US.

I wonder how they were protecting the engine and transmission
from seawater? One good wave could bounce the truck pretty
good and get water in the carberator. Water could also
easily seep into the transmission. I wonder how far
it would have actually gone?

Gfretwell

I wonder how they were protecting the engine and transmission
from seawater?

They were just counting on the idea that it only had to last 12 hours or so and
corrosion will not be a problem in that length of time. I bet that thing would
rust up into a solid mass if they had taken it out of the water overnight.
Dave Hall

Michael Sutton wrote:

[...]

The whole thing reminded me of an episode of "Junkyard Wars" gone
horibly wrong.

Dave

Snafu

You should have seen the side pictures of it. (I saw them in a
newspaper so can't offer them online to you.)

Starboard quarter view and a lot more detail than the previously posted CNN
story...
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/6393595.htm

Grumman-581

"Snafu" wrote ...
Starboard quarter view and a lot more detail than the
previously posted CNN story...
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/6393595.htm

Perhaps they should have considered not putting a bright yellow tarp over
the bed of the pickup? Painting the pickup haze gray might have also been
better... Don't know if it would have prevented them from being spotted, but
it surely wouldn't be as noticeable as that bright yellow tarp...

Gfretwell

Perhaps they should have considered not putting a bright yellow tarp over
the bed of the pickup? Painting the pickup haze gray might have also been
better... Don't know if it would have prevented them from being spotted, but
it surely wouldn't be as noticeable as that bright yellow tarp...

Those Fat Albert RADAR balloons can't see if it is yellow or grey. The DEA
watches anything bigger than a jetski moving up on the Florida coast 24/7