RichG

Default Good idea at the barber shop?

This morning, I was having a conversation with another guy at the barber
shop. He said that he had wired his trolling motor with wires from a pair of
decent quality battery cables.

Now, I assume that the wires that come from my engine to my battery are the
right size. They differ from what I usually buy ( 6 or 8 gauge ), for
various boat projects, in their flexibility. It seems to me, that a source
of large gauge wiring that is flexible, might well be a pair of jumper
cables. I sure can't buy that flexibility at Home Depot in their regular
wiring section. Any thoughts or comments? I'm assuming that the correct
gauge is selected.
--
RichG
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:01:30 GMT, "RichG"
wrote:

This morning, I was having a conversation with another guy at the barber
shop. He said that he had wired his trolling motor with wires from a pair of
decent quality battery cables.

Now, I assume that the wires that come from my engine to my battery are the
right size. They differ from what I usually buy ( 6 or 8 gauge ), for
various boat projects, in their flexibility. It seems to me, that a source
of large gauge wiring that is flexible, might well be a pair of jumper
cables. I sure can't buy that flexibility at Home Depot in their regular
wiring section. Any thoughts or comments? I'm assuming that the correct
gauge is selected.

Been there, done that - works great.

Gt the heavy duty cables, seal the ends with a silicone seal after you
put the new fittings on, seal the ends with a good silicone sealant or
3M 5200 and you are off and running.

I've also used #8 welding cable on a HD wiring project on a family
owned boat - worked lilke a charm.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern

Backyard Renegade

"RichG" wrote in message ...
This morning, I was having a conversation with another guy at the barber
shop. He said that he had wired his trolling motor with wires from a pair of
decent quality battery cables.

Now, I assume that the wires that come from my engine to my battery are the
right size. They differ from what I usually buy ( 6 or 8 gauge ), for
various boat projects, in their flexibility. It seems to me, that a source
of large gauge wiring that is flexible, might well be a pair of jumper
cables. I sure can't buy that flexibility at Home Depot in their regular
wiring section. Any thoughts or comments? I'm assuming that the correct
gauge is selected.

Yes, Paul S said it, get welding cables. If you can't be sure that the
jumper cables you get are not only "heavy duty" but soft too.
Generally a softer cable, like welding cables, are made of more
strands of wire, more surface area, blah blah, better juice! When I
worked the wreckers, we used welding cable to make our own jumper
cables.
Scotty

O.T. Some Good Points RGrew176 General 1 January 10th 04 08:04 AM
A Dickens Christmas Harry Krause General 0 December 25th 03 11:30 AM
How to find a good used fiberglass boat? Trace General 6 September 20th 03 12:57 PM
Good weekend, except for one little cover problem. Calif Bill General 0 July 30th 03 05:18 AM