Gary

Default Windshield wiper motor trouble

I posted this in an Albemarle Boat Owners forum and so far have no
Express Fisherman, but this question probably isn't very boat specific.

This weekend, I finally got to head to the coast. Had a wonderful time in
spite of the wind. Didn't get to fish though. Too rough offshore.

Anyway, I did run down the ICW for a few miles, just to run the boat. I took
a bit of spray in the chop and wind. When I turned on my wipers, one of them
didn't work. When I got back to the dock, I attempted to take it apart to
see what was wrong with it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to
get the wiper arm off of the wiper motor, so I wasn't actually able to
remove the motor for close inspection. I was able to loosen it up enough to
open it though. It looked fine inside, but there were 3 wires that I suspect
may be my problem.

There were 2 coming from the back of the wiper motor. One was orange and one
was purple. They both had "lugs" on them that attached to the spades on the
back of the wiper motor. The orange wire was in good shape, but the purple
wire was broken off at the lug. I cut the wire and got to a clean section of
it and crimped on a new lug. I'll solder it when I have an iron with me. I
cleaned the connectors and put them back on. There was a black wire that
came out of the window frame and it had a round lug on it...the kind that
you normally see attached to a bolt, but to my knowledge it wasn't attached
to anything. It's possible that it was and that it just came loose when I
took the motor loose, but I didn't see it. It was corroded and didn't appear
to have any marks on it suggesting that a bolt had been through it or that
the head of a bolt had been against it. I also didn't see any place that it
had been attached.

After I cleaned everything up, it still didn't work. I eventually tried
turning it on and touching the black wire to various places on the motor to
see if it was some kind or ground, but got no reaction at all.

I didn't have a volt meter with me, so I wasn't able to check to see if
there was power getting there, but I think it was.

So...first of all, any clue how to remove the wiper arm, so that I can
remove the motor and work on it. I can loosen the large nut on the outside
of the window frame that goes around the shaft that sticks through the
window, but the wiper arm APPEARS to be pressed onto the rod that goes
through the shaft and I can't figure out how to remove it. There is a hole
that is threaded in both wiper arms, but neither of them has a set screw in
them nor does it appear to ever have had one.

Second of all, anyone know which wires actually do what and where do they
need to be connected?

I'll keep the fingers crossed that someone has dealt with this before.

Thanks in advance!
_________________
Gary

"Connie Gail" 1995 Albemarle 320 Express Fisherman...Little River, SC

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:09:02 GMT, "Gary"
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

When I turned on my wipers, one of them
didn't work. When I got back to the dock, I attempted to take it apart to
see what was wrong with it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to
get the wiper arm off of the wiper motor, so I wasn't actually able to
remove the motor for close inspection. I was able to loosen it up enough to
open it though. It looked fine inside, but there were 3 wires that I suspect
may be my problem.

Two things I can think of. One, lift the wiper arm and see if there
is a set screw under the arm. Two, it's a press fit, then it's just a
question of using a large screwdriver and some PB Blaster and with
careful leverage, remove the wiper arm from the motor gear.

I would also check to see if there is a inline fuse in the wiring or
possibly a bad ground. If that black wire is corroded, it may not be
good -scrap a piece of the wire clean and check that out.

Later,

Tom
Mark

Try checking for a tiny clip under the blade at the shaft. My wipers are
mounted onto a knurled knob that is pressed onto the shaft and are held on
by a clip (on the wiper arm) that snaps over the knurled knob. It is so
small it is barely noticeable and blends in with the knob.

Mark (the rail & canopy hook guy)
www.ripnet.com/vtf/prod03.htm

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Gary

Thanks Tom and Mark for the replies. I'll check for additional set screws
and clips. I really don't think that there is a set screw, but the clip is
a possibility.

I'm still puzzled by the wiring, since I can't see where the black wire was
ever connected to.
I'll keep digging. I'll have a volt meter with me next time.

Thanks again for the replies. Somehow I knew that Tom would be one of the
first to reply. You're always there with some quick friendly advice.
Thanks!

Gary

Calif Bill

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
Thanks Tom and Mark for the replies. I'll check for additional set screws
and clips. I really don't think that there is a set screw, but the clip

is
a possibility.

I'm still puzzled by the wiring, since I can't see where the black wire

was
ever connected to.
I'll keep digging. I'll have a volt meter with me next time.

Thanks again for the replies. Somehow I knew that Tom would be one of the
first to reply. You're always there with some quick friendly advice.
Thanks!

Gary

The black wire if it is a ground should go someplace away from the motor.
Check to see if there is a terminal block for ground somewhere near the
length of wire away.

Gary

The black wire if it is a ground should go someplace away from the motor.
Check to see if there is a terminal block for ground somewhere near the
length of wire away.

The black wire comes from inside of the window frame and has the round lug
on the end. I am not sure where it comes from ultimately, but the round lug
was found NEAR the wiper motor. It was just hanging loose when I found it.
It wasn't connected to anything. Perhaps it was and when I loosened the
wiper motor it came loose from one of the bolts, but it shows no marks and
no indications that it was hooked to anything.

I would think that it should connect to the wiper motor somewhere, since it
originates elsewhere and ends NEAR the motor. I just can't figure out
where...and if it ever was connected.

Gary

HaKrause

wrote:

I posted this in an Albemarle Boat Owners forum and so far have no
Express Fisherman, but this question probably isn't very boat specific.

I had one of these as a young boy. It was one of my first dedicated
fishing rigs. Ah, the memories.