Larry D Gibbs

Default Kicker motor for 19 foot bayliner

I just bought 2001 Bayliner Classic Capri 1950 and am trying to find out
what would be a good low cost kicker engine to use in case of lose of power
to get back to shore. I will be boating in Puget Sound near Seattle/Tacoma.
I am looking for something cost effective.

MikeT

"Larry D Gibbs" wrote in message
news
I just bought 2001 Bayliner Classic Capri 1950 and am trying to find out
what would be a good low cost kicker engine to use in case of lose of power
to get back to shore. I will be boating in Puget Sound near Seattle/Tacoma.
I am looking for something cost effective.

I had an older 8 HP Mariner (When made by Yamaha) as a kicker on my 21 ft
trophy, worked great for slow troll, a bit slow at getting back in. I
replaced it with a 15 HP Mariner, which also doubled as a good engine for a
14 ft row boat.

I have the 15 HP Mariner on my 25 Thompson for a kicker and it has brought
me in from 7 miles out on Lake Huron.

Personally, I would go bigger than smaller, weight does not change on most
between 8 and 15 hp.

Cost wise, I see that the 10 and 15 Merc and Johnsons are in the $1700 to
$1900 range, at least in Michigan. Also, there are the Nissan engines that
are a bit cheaper, not sure of the reliability or parts availability, never
had one, or knew anyone that had one.

I have had many Merc, Mariner, and OMC outboards, the nice thing about
Johnson and Evinrudes is parts are always available everywhere. I have found
Merc products more reliable, that is all I buy.

-rick-

MikeT wrote:

Personally, I would go bigger than smaller, weight does not change on most
between 8 and 15 hp.

On the other hand... my 15 hp kicker on a 20' boat is more than enough
to reach hull speed leaving the top third of the throttle range useless
as it tries to climb the bow wave and the prop intermittently
ventilates. I would be happier with an 8hp and the weight and dollar
savings. The older 9.9 and 15 Honda's were the same block while the 8
was smaller/lighter. Other models may be different but in my experience
8-10 hp is plenty for that size boat.

-rick-
Calif Bill

8 hp is more than enough. I ran a 15 hp 2 stroke on my 21' 3400# boat and
got about 5.5 mph. I went to a Yamaha T-8 high thrust and got 6.5 mph which
is really close to hull speed. a 19' boat is only going to get a little
less than 6mph with a kicker. Go for the smaller motor with the high thrust
leg (bigger prop) Save the weight and money.
Bill

"-rick-" wrote in message
MikeT wrote:

Personally, I would go bigger than smaller, weight does not change on

most
between 8 and 15 hp.

On the other hand... my 15 hp kicker on a 20' boat is more than enough
to reach hull speed leaving the top third of the throttle range useless
as it tries to climb the bow wave and the prop intermittently
ventilates. I would be happier with an 8hp and the weight and dollar
savings. The older 9.9 and 15 Honda's were the same block while the 8
was smaller/lighter. Other models may be different but in my experience
8-10 hp is plenty for that size boat.

-rick-

MikeT

k.net...

"-rick-" wrote in message
MikeT wrote:

Personally, I would go bigger than smaller, weight does not change on

most
between 8 and 15 hp.

On the other hand... my 15 hp kicker on a 20' boat is more than enough
to reach hull speed leaving the top third of the throttle range useless
as it tries to climb the bow wave and the prop intermittently
ventilates. I would be happier with an 8hp and the weight and dollar
savings. The older 9.9 and 15 Honda's were the same block while the 8
was smaller/lighter. Other models may be different but in my experience
8-10 hp is plenty for that size boat.

-rick-

I would agree with an 8 HP if that is going to be your only use for it, like
I said, I use mine to push a 14 ft row boat as well.

As far as not using the upper 1/3 of the power range, that is the idea,
don't want them running above that too often anyway.

Not a heck of allot of price difference in that range, but if you won't need
the extra power, than go for an 8 or 10 HP.

Mike

N.L. Eckert

Larry wrote:
I just bought 2001 Bayliner Classic Capri 1950 and am trying to find out
what would be a good low cost kicker engine to use in case of lose of
power to get back to shore. I will be boating in Puget Sound near
Seattle/Tacoma. I am looking for something cost effective.
I"ve been using a 4 HP Evinrude on a 21 ft. Bayliner Ciera for 12
years. I went for the 4 HP mainly because I got a good deal on it, but
its pushed my boat for trolling pretty well. I'm on Lk. St. Clair, so
its mostly slack water that I use it. I would think a bit more power
would be better for a come home engine. Especially if you're headed
into a chop or current.

Happy boating, Norm