CFLav8r

Default No trailer, must motor.

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to move my boat from Key Largo to Port Canaveral.
Since I don't own an trailer or a car large enough to pull it, I thought I
would just motor on up the coast to Port Canaveral.
My question to this group is: Does anyone have any experience in this type
of movement?
With this size boat (19ft CC w/115hp Yamaha)?
In this area?
I know the weather is a factor to take into account.
I know that the time involved will be around 10 - 12 hrs.
What I'm not sure of is if I should go inside (ICW) or outside?
I'm assuming that outside would give me the least speed restrictions. But
inside would give me the best small craft safety.

Thanks, David

Jim Kelly

I took a 29' express from Riviera Beach to Key Largo two years ago. It was in
March but the weather was good so we went outside at Lake Worth and ran to
Government Cut in Miami. We then took the ICW down to Blackwater Sound which
was my destination. On the outside, we ran about five miles off shore. If
you check around you will find that the ICW, particularly from Miami to close
to West Palm, can be very tedious. The run up the ICW from Key Largo to Miami
however, is a real nice ride. Be sure to check out Stiltsville if you have
never seen it.

I think your 10-12 hour estimate is questionable if you go outside and
completely unrealistic if you take the ICW.

CFLav8r wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to move my boat from Key Largo to Port Canaveral.
Since I don't own an trailer or a car large enough to pull it, I thought I
would just motor on up the coast to Port Canaveral.
My question to this group is: Does anyone have any experience in this type
of movement?
With this size boat (19ft CC w/115hp Yamaha)?
In this area?
I know the weather is a factor to take into account.
I know that the time involved will be around 10 - 12 hrs.
What I'm not sure of is if I should go inside (ICW) or outside?
I'm assuming that outside would give me the least speed restrictions. But
inside would give me the best small craft safety.

Thanks, David

You may want to check into renting a trailer. A short Google search turned
up the following:

http://www.orlandovillas.co.uk/indiancommunity.html
http://www.recdealers.com/marinedeal...edealers02.htm

Fred

"CFLav8r" wrote in message
m...
Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to move my boat from Key Largo to Port Canaveral.
Since I don't own an trailer or a car large enough to pull it, I thought I
would just motor on up the coast to Port Canaveral.
My question to this group is: Does anyone have any experience in this type
of movement?
With this size boat (19ft CC w/115hp Yamaha)?
In this area?
I know the weather is a factor to take into account.
I know that the time involved will be around 10 - 12 hrs.
What I'm not sure of is if I should go inside (ICW) or outside?
I'm assuming that outside would give me the least speed restrictions. But
inside would give me the best small craft safety.

Thanks, David

Nick in Spartanburg, SC

I've done it several times w/ outboards, some smaller than yours, both
inside and out.
On the weekends, the seas inside can often be worse than running outside due
to the seawalls resonating wakes, but during the week it can be a rather
enjoyable trip inside if you're not in a hurry.

If it's a beautiful flat day, a run outside would be in order, but I always
caution that even an all weather inlet should never be run from the outside
in, until it's first been done from the inside out, i.e.. never plan to make
landfall at an inlet you're not familiar with.

Sounds like a fun trip to me - forget the trailer idea.

Nick in Spartanburg, SC
http://www.geocities.com/jeff_nicholas/BBR.html