gltlwlelilslslsl

Default cored hulls

Any opinions out there on cored hulls as used in power boats? I am looking
at a 33 ft Carver with baltec coring in the hull. The boat is mint but i am
concerned about the coring . Any advice or stories about this type of
construction is appreciated.....

DSK

gltlwlelilslslsl wrote:

Any opinions out there on cored hulls as used in power boats? I am looking
at a 33 ft Carver with baltec coring in the hull. The boat is mint but i am
concerned about the coring . Any advice or stories about this type of
construction is appreciated.....

How old is it? Are there any fittings in cored areas? You can find areas of
delamination or saturated coring by sounding.

I don't know about Carver's reputation... there are some sailboat builders who
have a good reputation for longevity of their cored decks and/or hulls, and
others not so much.

Fair Skies
Doug King

gltlwlelilslslsl

Hi, the boat is old...1977 vintage Carver Monterey. A local surveyor says
the hull is sound right now but after reading Pascoe's web site about cored
boats... i don't know who to believe. The boat is a one owner and is in mint
shape.. boat housekept since new etc...
I am having trouble finding any more info on older cored boats [other than
pascoe's site] to get more than one opinon... thanks for any help.

sage ...
gltlwlelilslslsl wrote:

Any opinions out there on cored hulls as used in power boats? I am

looking
at a 33 ft Carver with baltec coring in the hull. The boat is mint but i

am
concerned about the coring . Any advice or stories about this type of
construction is appreciated.....

How old is it? Are there any fittings in cored areas? You can find areas

of
delamination or saturated coring by sounding.

I don't know about Carver's reputation... there are some sailboat builders

who
have a good reputation for longevity of their cored decks and/or hulls,

and
others not so much.

Fair Skies
Doug King

DSK

gltlwlelilslslsl wrote:
Hi, the boat is old...1977 vintage Carver Monterey. A local surveyor says
the hull is sound right now but after reading Pascoe's web site about cored
boats... i don't know who to believe.

Well, much of what David Pascoe says on his web site is true, but some
of his ranting is not based in fact.

It is fully possible for cored fiberglass structures to be very strong
and very long lived. He seems to think that because *some* cored boats
go bad (and often it is due to poor maintenance) then that proves that
*all* cored boats are bad. I don't think that Socrates would like his
logic on this

... The boat is a one owner and is in mint
shape.. boat housekept since new etc...
I am having trouble finding any more info on older cored boats [other than
pascoe's site] to get more than one opinon... thanks for any help.

The method for 'sounding' to discover delaminated spots or saturated
spots... using a screwdriver handle or a small wood hammer, tap every
six inches or so. Follow a grid pattern, pay special attention to areas
around fittings which are fastened into or thru the deck/hull. A
surveyor friend of mine uses a judges gavel, looks very impressive. I
use a 1/2" diameter length of wood dowel, held endwise. Don't hit hard
enough to leave any marks, all you want is a slight 'thok' sound. A
clear or sharp sound is good, a duller or quieter sound is bad. Do a lot
of tapping to get a feel for the average, you can't tell anything by one
tap (although you see people do this).

If the boat has been kept inside, then check it *very* carefully for
deck & cabin trunk leaks. Spray a hose onto it, especially into all
angles and onto all fittings, HARD; and keep it up for at least a half
hour unless leaks appear sooner. Boats kept under roofs don't get sun
damaged as badly, but often their owners skimp on rebedding maintenance
because they can get away with it... only human nature.

Hope this helps, buying an older boat is an act of faith!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King