Paul Schilter

Default cored hulls

PowerBoat Reports had some disconcerting news on water intrusion on newer
Sea Rays in its balsa coring. Their web address is www.powerboat-reports.com
Paul

"gltlwlelilslslsl" wrote in message
Hi, the boat is old...1977 vintage Carver Monterey. A local surveyor says
the hull is sound right now but after reading Pascoe's web site about

cored
boats... i don't know who to believe. The boat is a one owner and is in

mint
shape.. boat housekept since new etc...
I am having trouble finding any more info on older cored boats [other than
pascoe's site] to get more than one opinon... thanks for any help.

sage ...
gltlwlelilslslsl wrote:

Any opinions out there on cored hulls as used in power boats? I am

looking
at a 33 ft Carver with baltec coring in the hull. The boat is mint but

am
concerned about the coring . Any advice or stories about this type of
construction is appreciated.....

How old is it? Are there any fittings in cored areas? You can find areas

of
delamination or saturated coring by sounding.

I don't know about Carver's reputation... there are some sailboat

builders
who
have a good reputation for longevity of their cored decks and/or hulls,

and
others not so much.

Fair Skies
Doug King