David Bell

Default Q's on a Volvo Penta Cobra

I have a 1996 Volvo Penta 5.7 L Cobra sterndrive. The Boat was parked for a
couple of years and is now going back to the water. During cleanup and
testing I found the water temp was rising above 160 degrees where it usuall
sat, and wandered up to 200 before I shut it down.

I bought a book, supposedly on that engine from a local boat store and it
suggested the thermostat which was trully nedded and was replaced. Still
getting hot.

We then followed the books suggestion that either the pump in the stern
drive unit or the water pump on the front of the motor may not be working.
I then found the book was wrong, the stern drive does not have a pump, it is
actually located on the front of the motor on a pully. Other pictures in the
book look nothing like my drive. I have a hard time trusing anything else
in the book.

With hoses removed water is flowing at a good rate from both pumps. I seem
to remember that exhaust came from an opening on the drive as well as from
the center opening of the propeller mixed with warm water. I am only
getting steam from there now.

Any suggestions as to where I can look from there would be appreciated.

Thanks

To reply direct, remove "nospam" from address

Harry Krause

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:48:20 GMT, "David Bell"
wrote:

I have a 1996 Volvo Penta 5.7 L Cobra sterndrive.

Darn nice setup. I was on the Volvo design team for these units.