Short Wave Sportfishing

Default First Sal****er Boat

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:44:41 GMT, bo jangles wrote:

I am buying my first boat (not counting my jon boat) to be used in
sal****er - primary use is fishing - Florida's Sarasota Bay and Keys
and Intercoastal. I will be using it with 1 to 3 passengers. Since I
get seasick I will not be going offshore and won't be going out in
rough weather (may have to return in it though). I've been looking at
Scout, Triumph and Proline in the 18' - 20' range and 75-130 HP
motors. I've looked at a couple of used boats but I'm not confident
in evaluating used boats and their prices. I anticipate using the
boat 3-5 days a week(weather permitting plus I do need time for golf)
for 3 months and lightly for the other 9 (occasional use in Lake Erie
and inshore NJ, Del, Md).

I would appreciate input/assistance in helping me through this
traumatic experience.

If you are looking at a Scout, take a look at the 2180 Bay Ranger.
About the same price and it's a quality boat.

Which is not to knock Scout or Proline. I would stay away from
Triumph - I'm not convinced that actual plastic boats are any good.

As to used boats, once you determine that the boat is in decent
condition (meaning clean, no major dents or whoopsies, everything
still fits properly, has the gear you like), it's all about the
engine. You need to check out the engine with another dealer. It's
basically paying for an hour of shop time because that's about how
long it takes to properly evaluate an engine. You want a compression
check, spark test, have the cylinders scoped out for scoring or carbon
buildup and have the lower unit pulled and pressure checked. Most
reputable shops will do the engine first, then the lower unit. As
long as they are in the lower unit, have them change the impeller if
the engine is in decent shape.

Hours aren't as important as the engines mechanicals.

The trailer is also important, but that's something to go over when
you purchase - have the bearings checked, tire pressure, make sure the
rollers or bunks don't have any wobble or wear - that kind of thing.
Trailers are something you can do on your own and you don't need
somebody to do that for you.

Hope that helps a little.

Later,

Tom
John H

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:44:41 GMT, bo jangles wrote:

I am buying my first boat (not counting my jon boat) to be used in
sal****er - primary use is fishing - Florida's Sarasota Bay and Keys
and Intercoastal. I will be using it with 1 to 3 passengers. Since I
get seasick I will not be going offshore and won't be going out in
rough weather (may have to return in it though). I've been looking at
Scout, Triumph and Proline in the 18' - 20' range and 75-130 HP
motors. I've looked at a couple of used boats but I'm not confident
in evaluating used boats and their prices. I anticipate using the
boat 3-5 days a week(weather permitting plus I do need time for golf)
for 3 months and lightly for the other 9 (occasional use in Lake Erie
and inshore NJ, Del, Md).

I would appreciate input/assistance in helping me through this
traumatic experience.

I have a 21' 1997 Proline walkaround cuddy cabin. I've had absolutely no
problems with the boat whatsoever. I've had some problems with the engine, 5.7L
Mercruiser I/O, but I don't think Proline uses them anymore.Given a decent deal,
I'd buy another used one, if I'd had it looked over.

Good luck.

John H

Harry Krause

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:44:41 GMT, bo jangles wrote:

I am buying my first boat (not counting my jon boat) to be used in
sal****er - primary use is fishing - Florida's Sarasota Bay and Keys
and Intercoastal. I will be using it with 1 to 3 passengers. Since I
get seasick I will not be going offshore and won't be going out in
rough weather (may have to return in it though). I've been looking at
Scout, Triumph and Proline in the 18' - 20' range and 75-130 HP
motors.

These are all good choices for a small entry level fishing boat. I
havnt been on a fishing boat smaller than 30' in 25 years tho.