Gary Warner

Default Welding our trailer - pics

Links are to some pics of welding our trailer:

http://tinyurl.com/3apc6

or

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b34674116540

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:50:01 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

Links are to some pics of welding our trailer:

http://tinyurl.com/3apc6

or

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b34674116540

Looks good. How much do you figure all that steel weighs? [1]

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"The wildness and adventure that are in
fishing still recommend it to me."

Henry David Thoreau
"Walden" (1854)

[1] I love those old Hercules powered welders - I have one myself.
Ok, yours might not be a Hercules, but I'll bet close enough. :)
Gary Warner

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote

Looks good. How much do you figure all that steel weighs?

Good question. The side-rails and cross-members are 5" channel that
is about 6.7 lbs/foot. The tongue is 5"x3" tube that is about 9.4 lbs/foot.
Some rough calculations:

Steel: 600 lbs
Axels 200 lbs each = 400 lbs

So that's 1000 lbs. When we add 5 tires (one spare) the bow-stop post,
winch,
jack, spare tire post, actuator, steel-risers, bunks, etc, we'll probably be
at 1200 to
1400 lbs. ~ When we were looking to have one custom made for us, that is
the
range they estimated also. Our trailer is probably a little heaver / over
built. But
since it's not a "production" thing and since we won't put that many miles
on it,
a little extra weight is not much of an issue.

I don't know what type/engine that welder has. I know my dad has had that
thing for 30 or more years.

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

Later.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:33:32 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

[...]

Are you going to paint it?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"The wildness and adventure that are in
fishing still recommend it to me."

Henry David Thoreau
"Walden" (1854)
Gary Warner

Are you going to paint it?

Yep, gonna paint it. Haven't yet but planning to contact some local body
shops to see what prices why have (should be a relatively simple job
compared to a car). We've also considered painting it ourselves with
spray cans - but I think a pro can do a nicer looking job and maybe
provide some paint that lasts longer + more protection.

At one point I also contacted some people that do color-galvanizing.
We've decided we'ld rather repaint every X years if we have to then
spend the money for the color-galvy - but it would be nice.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:02:01 -0500, "Gary Warner"

Are you going to paint it?

Yep, gonna paint it. Haven't yet but planning to contact some local body
shops to see what prices why have (should be a relatively simple job
compared to a car). We've also considered painting it ourselves with
spray cans - but I think a pro can do a nicer looking job and maybe
provide some paint that lasts longer + more protection.

At one point I also contacted some people that do color-galvanizing.
We've decided we'ld rather repaint every X years if we have to then
spend the money for the color-galvy - but it would be nice.

Ok, I'm going to throw caution to the wind here and recommend
something that really worked for me.

http://www.por15.com/

When I finished restoring my '50 International L-110 pickup ten or so
years ago, I used this as an undercoat for the finished paint to
prevent rust problem from arising from the repair sheet metal/old
metal problems so common with International restorations.

I don't have one single rust spot anywhere and the truck is outside
all summer long - not even in the bed of the truck. There are also a
couple of nicks in the top coat and no rust there either - none on the
hinges for the doors and none on the frame which was sand blasted and
primered with this stuff.

If I ever did a restoration again, I'd use this stuff - it honestly
works.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"The wildness and adventure that are in
fishing still recommend it to me."

Henry David Thoreau
"Walden" (1854)

QLW

Don't paint it!!! Galvanize it. I have galvanized trailers that I built 20
years ago that are just as good today as they were when I built them. When
you build with new materials it's only necessary to sandblast the weld areas
only and the cost of galvanizing is no more and sometimes less than the cost
of a good paint job. I galvanize every trailer that I build and plan to
keep, and I try to convince people, that I build trailers for, to galvanize
also. I pay around $38 per 100 lbs for galvanizing so most trailers can be
done for $300 to $400. Of course I have to add any blasting that has to be
done and transportation costs, but you would do those yourself. The
galvanizer that I use (Southwest Galvanizing in Houston) will do any small
blasting (like welds) for a nominal or (most often) no added charge.
BTW, I can't believe that your axles weigh 200 lbs. each. Maybe with
springs and hubs attached but I doubt it even then unless they are like 7500
lb solid (i.e., not tube) axles with brakes.
If you are determined to paint it, get an industrial grade primer and finish
coat "system"or get ready to repaint every few years. When I paint a
trailer, I sandblast, prime and finish coat with an industrial grade paint.
I'd have to go to my shop to look at the cans to give you the names of the
exact paint but I get them from Sherman Williams. I'm sure that other paint
suppliers have comparable systems but you will not find "real" industrial
paint systems at Home Depot or Lowe's. Ospho is a somewhat less effective
alternative to sandblasting but FOR SURE do not just paint over mill scale.
It would be a shame to design and build a quality trailer and then condemn
it (and you) to a life of rust remediation.

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in

message

Are you going to paint it?

Yep, gonna paint it. Haven't yet but planning to contact some local body
shops to see what prices why have (should be a relatively simple job
compared to a car). We've also considered painting it ourselves with
spray cans - but I think a pro can do a nicer looking job and maybe
provide some paint that lasts longer + more protection.

At one point I also contacted some people that do color-galvanizing.
We've decided we'ld rather repaint every X years if we have to then
spend the money for the color-galvy - but it would be nice.

Calif Bill

[...]

My dad had a couple of them. His were a V4 aircooled unit. Last engine he
got was when they tore down the old Ford plant at the Richmond shipyards.
They ran air raid sirens in WW-2 with them. I think Onan supplied them.
Remeber getting a set of points at the Onan distributor at one time.
Bill

Trailer Reminder JDavis1277 General 0 January 1st 04 02:26 PM
Trailer Brakes: Electric vs Hydraulic-Surge Gary Warner General 25 October 2nd 03 02:22 AM
Where to buy trailer axels ?? Gould 0738 General 14 September 11th 03 05:23 PM
Correct Trailer set up for towing my speedboat. Chester General 3 July 28th 03 12:55 PM