riverman

Default Shipping a canoe on an airplane?

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge about shipping one or more
canoes on airplanes? I assume that they must go as airfreight; but if anyone
has done it, I'd like to know about their experience. I'm imagining
something like a 17' boat, or even two boats, a 16 footer nestled inside a
17 footer.

--riverman
(whose mind is easy to read)

Steve

riverman wrote:
Does anybody have any experience or knowledge about shipping one or more
canoes on airplanes? I assume that they must go as airfreight; but if anyone
has done it, I'd like to know about their experience. I'm imagining
something like a 17' boat, or even two boats, a 16 footer nestled inside a
17 footer.

I've been on the receiving end of three successful
Forward Air kayak deliveries.

Forward Air
http://www.forwardair.com/locations/falocations.htm

Steve
Charlie Choc

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:17:30 +0100, "riverman" wrote:

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge about shipping one or more
canoes on airplanes? I assume that they must go as airfreight; but if anyone
has done it, I'd like to know about their experience. I'm imagining
something like a 17' boat, or even two boats, a 16 footer nestled inside a
17 footer.

--riverman
(whose mind is easy to read)

If you're thinking about taking them to HK I'd be more worried about where to
store them once they got there.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com/ - photo galleries
riverman

"Charlie Choc" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:17:30 +0100, "riverman" wrote:

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge about shipping one or more
canoes on airplanes? I assume that they must go as airfreight; but if
anyone
has done it, I'd like to know about their experience. I'm imagining
something like a 17' boat, or even two boats, a 16 footer nestled inside a
17 footer.

--riverman
(whose mind is easy to read)

If you're thinking about taking them to HK I'd be more worried about where
store them once they got there.

I'm pretty sure I can find space on the campus somewhere. But figuring that
out is also part of the big plan.

--riverman

Charlie Choc

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:50:12 +0100, "riverman" wrote:

I'm pretty sure I can find space on the campus somewhere. But figuring that
out is also part of the big plan.

I don't remember seeing much if any space there that wasn't in use. Even
rooftops have gardens, laundry, etc. I asked one of the guys there why there
weren't many birds and he said there was no place for them to nest where their
eggs wouldn't get taken and eaten. g
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com/ - photo galleries
http://www.chocphoto.com/roff

riverman

"Charlie Choc" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:50:12 +0100, "riverman" wrote:

I'm pretty sure I can find space on the campus somewhere. But figuring
that
out is also part of the big plan.

I don't remember seeing much if any space there that wasn't in use. Even
rooftops have gardens, laundry, etc. I asked one of the guys there why
there
weren't many birds and he said there was no place for them to nest where
their
eggs wouldn't get taken and eaten. g

Wow, this will be interesting. But again, I'm sure that something might be
possible...its a huge campus, and I'll be living and working on it. They
must have storage for PE equipment, covered carports for vehicles, etc. I
know they have undeveloped space on campus for expansion. I think most folks
in HK are constrained to storing stuff in their tiny apartments or within
the apartment block...I think I won't be in that same situation. Not to say
that I will have a warehouse, but it DOES remain to be seen if I can cram it
in gardening shed, or under the back of the cafeteria.

Meanwhile, I just want to know about flying a canoe; one bridge at a time.
Hell, for all I know, they might even have a paddling team.

--riverman

Wolfgang

"riverman" wrote in message

...I just want to know about flying a canoe...

Hm.......where to begin?

Wolfgang

Charlie Choc

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:22:07 +0100, "riverman" wrote:

Wow, this will be interesting. But again, I'm sure that something might be
possible...its a huge campus, and I'll be living and working on it.

I'm sure you'll figure something out. I was impressed while I was in HK that
every level surface was in use for at least one thing, and the sidewalks are
even used as sleeping quarters at night. The sidewalk residents seem to enjoy
rolling over and farting at westerners, BTW. g
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com/ - photo galleries
http://www.chocphoto.com/roff
Michael Daly

On 3-Mar-2005, "riverman" wrote:

I'm sure that something might be
possible...

Folding canoe.

Mike
Richard Ferguson

I priced shipping a canoe one way from Inuvik NWT to Yellowknife, less
than 1000 air miles, for around $500. They charged based on volume, not
weight. At that price, you might as well use an old boat and leave it
at the end of the trip.

I like the folding kayak suggestion, and I know that folding canoes are
also available. You can carry them in a taxi, bus, or other public
transport. You can store it in a closet. Forget air shipping a
canoe/kayak across the pacific ocean, go with a folding boat.

Richard