NOYB

Default Judge Upholds Constitution against Bush Thugs

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4240038/detail.html

"If the law in its current state is found by the president to be
insufficient to protect this country from terrorist plots, such as the one
alleged here, then the president should prevail upon Congress to remedy
the problem," he wrote.

Floyd wrote that, in essence, "the detention of a United States citizen by
the military is disallowed without explicit Congressional authorization."

This was shrewd move by a Bush appointee to spark Congress into enacting
legislation that will give the President the necessary powers. Floyd knew
of course that this case will be appealed to a US Court of Appeals...so he
Padilla ain't gonna see the light of day anytime soon.

"To do otherwise would not only offend the rule of law and violate this
country’s constitutional tradition, but it would also be a betrayal of
this nation’s commitment to the separation of powers that safeguards our
democratic values and individual liberties," he wrote.

"For the court to find for (the U.S. government) would also be to engage
in judicial activism. This court sits to interpret the law as it is and
not as the court might wish it to be.

Good. He gets it. Activist judges are a bad thing. Ruling for the
government would have usurped the power of Congress.

Pursuant to its interpretation, the court finds that the president has no
power, neither express nor implied, neither constitutional nor statutory,
to hold (Padilla) as an enemy combatant," Floyd wrote.

Big deal. If the government loses on appeal, they'll deem him an unlawful
combatant...and a whole new round of court appeals will begin. Iran will be
a Democracy by the time Padilla gets out of jail. Of course, we could
always send him to Jordan or Saudi Arabia for some softening up.

As a result, Floyd ordered that Padilla be released within 45 days.

The government is expected to appeal the decision.

No kidding.

NOYB

NOYB wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4240038/detail.html

"If the law in its current state is found by the president to be
insufficient to protect this country from terrorist plots, such as the
one alleged here, then the president should prevail upon Congress to
remedy the problem," he wrote.

Floyd wrote that, in essence, "the detention of a United States citizen
by the military is disallowed without explicit Congressional
authorization."

This was shrewd move by a Bush appointee to spark Congress into enacting
legislation that will give the President the necessary powers. Floyd
knew of course that this case will be appealed to a US Court of
Appeals...so he Padilla ain't gonna see the light of day anytime soon.

Hahahahohohohehehe.

Well, it surely will end up before the US Court of Appeals, no doubt about
that.

I have a suspicion that Bush isn't going to be getting any new powers in
the area under discussion.

I have a suspicion that you're wrong. Bush will push for this...and a
Republican House and Senate will gladly oblige.

Here's why terrorists shouldn't have any rights:

Imprisoned terrorists still advocating terror
1993 World Trade Center bombers write letters exhorting jihad

By Lisa Myers & the NBC investigative unit
Updated: 7:52 p.m. ET Feb. 28, 2005

It was 12:18 p.m. on Feb. 26, 1993, lunchtime, when the van exploded. The
massive bomb rattled the World Trade Center, leaving a giant crater in the
underground garage. Six people were killed, and more than 1,000 were
wounded.

At the time, it was the worst act of terrorism ever committed on American
soil. Three Islamic extremists were among those convicted, each sentenced to
more than 100 years in prison.

Former prosecutor Andy McCarthy convicted others involved in the attack.

"It's difficult to imagine people who are more evil or inclined to do more
mass homicide," says McCarthy.

So the men were sent to America's most secure federal prisons, eventually
ending up at Supermax in Colorado, supposedly unable to do further harm.

Or so we thought. Letters and articles obtained by NBC News show that while
behind bars, the 1993 bombers continued their terrorist activities. They
wrote letters to other suspected terrorists and brazenly praised Osama bin
Laden in Arabic newspapers.

According to confidential Spanish court documents obtained by NBC, at least
14 letters went back and forth between the World Trade Center bombers and a
Spanish terror cell.

In February 2003, bomber Mohammed Salameh writes: "Oh God! Make us live with
happiness, make us die as martyrs, may we be united on the Day of Judgment."
The recipient, Mohamed Achraf, later allegedly led a plot to blow up the
National Justice Building in Madrid and is awaiting trial.

In July 2002, a letter Salameh sent from prison is published in the Al-Quds
newspaper, proclaiming "Osama Bin Laden is my hero of this generation."

"He was exhorting acts of terrorism and helping recruit would-be terrorists
for the jihad," says McCarthy, "from inside an American prison."

The letters to the bombers spoke of the need to "terminate the infidels" and
said, "The Muslims don't have any option other than jihad."

Among those corresponding is a man charged with recruiting suicide
operatives in Spain. Spanish officials accuse him of using letters to and
from the U.S. bombers as a recruiting tool.

All this while the Bureau of Prisons reassured the public that terrorists
were under control.

"We have been managing inmates with ties to terrorism for over a decade by
confining them in secure conditions and monitoring their communications
closely," said Harley Lappin, the Bureau of Prisons director, in October
2003.

Today, federal prison officials refuse to comment directly on what other law
enforcement officials call a horrible lapse, saying only that inmates'
letters are "monitored" and "inspected."

So how did this happen? Federal officials tell NBC that the Justice
Department failed to restrict communications to and from the three bombers
because key officials didn't consider them all that dangerous.

Michael Macko lost his father, Bill, in the trade center bombing and
attended the 12th anniversary memorial on Feb. 26.

"If they are encouraging acts of terrorism internationally, how do we know
they're not encouraging acts of terrorism right here on U.S. soil?" asks
Macko.

That's just one of the many questions now being scrutinized by the Justice
Department.

NOYB

NOYB wrote:

[...]

That doesn't matter. What matters is that this country follow its own rule
of law.

The government should charge Padilla with a crime or not (and then set him
free if not), set or deny bail, and give him his right to a speedy trial,
represented by counsel. Period.
Anything less contributes more to the destruction of this country than
anything Padilla did or could do.

I know the Bush Adminstration would prefer a police state, but we are not
there yet.

You can't fight international terrorism with existing US laws. The Clinton
administration tried that after the 1993 WTC attack, and it resulted in the
2001 attack.

Jim,

NOYB wrote:

[...]

So are you suggesting we suspend the Constitution, or just the Bill of
Rights?
NOYB

NOYB wrote:

[...]

I'm suggesting that we don't extend Constitutional rights to al Qaida
terrorists.

Jim,

NOYB wrote:

[...]

"al Qaida terrorists" As defined by whom?
thunder

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:23:05 -0500, NOYB wrote:

I'm suggesting that we don't extend Constitutional rights to al Qaida
terrorists.

Obviously, we aren't, nor to United States citizens for that matter. I
believe Frances' laws might be more to your liking. Here, you are
innocent until proven guilty.
Lee Huddleston

You can't fight international terrorism with existing US laws. The Clinton
administration tried that after the 1993 WTC attack, and it resulted in the
2001 attack.

That is not true. The Clinton administration was successful in
fighting terrorism. When Bush took over he was warned repeatedly
about the terrorist and he and his team fell asleep for nine months.
The 2001 WTC attack was easily preventable. Keep in mind that it
occurred while George Bush was President. But, as is usual for
everything that has occurred during his administration, he never takes
any responsibility. Instead of fighting terrorist Bush has ****ed
away all of our money and the lives of our finest men and women (not
to mention hundreds of thousands of Iraqis) to fight a battle we did
not need to fight. Iraq is not part of the "war" on terrorism; it is
a very dangerous distraction. If anything, it has been an excellent
recruiting tool for the terrorist.

Lee Huddleston

NOYB

"Lee Huddleston" wrote in message

You can't fight international terrorism with existing US laws. The
Clinton
administration tried that after the 1993 WTC attack, and it resulted in
the
2001 attack.

That is not true. The Clinton administration was successful in
fighting terrorism.

They were successful in hiding state-sponsored terrorism, and acting like it
was a few rogue individuals acting alone.

Here's a list of Americans killed by radical Islamic terrorists during
Clinton's watch:

January 25, 1993, Virginia, United States. A Pakistani gunman opened fire on
Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) employees standing outside of the
building. Two agents, Frank Darling and Bennett Lansing, were killed and
three others wounded. The assailant was never caught and reportedly fled to
Pakistan.

February 26, 1993, Cairo, Egypt. A bomb exploded inside a café in downtown
Cairo killing three. Among the 18 wounded were two U.S. citizens. No one
claimed responsibility for the attack.

February 26, 1993, New York, United States. A massive van bomb exploded in
an underground parking garage below the World Trade Center in New York City,
killing six and wounding 1,042. Four Islamist activists were responsible for
the attack. Ramzi Ahmed Yousef, the operation's alleged mastermind, escaped
but was later arrested in Pakistan and extradited to the United States. Abd
al-Hakim Murad, another suspected conspirator, was arrested by local
authorities in the Philippines and handed over to the United States. The
two, along with two other terrorists, were tried in the U.S. and sentenced
to 240 years.

April 14, 1993, Kuwait. The Iraqi intelligence service attempted to
assassinate former U.S. President George Bush during a visit to Kuwait. In
retaliation, the U.S. launched a cruise missile attack two months later on
the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.

July 5, 1993, Southeast Turkey. In eight separate incidents, the Kurdistan
Workers' Party (PKK) kidnapped a total of 19 Western tourists traveling in
southeastern Turkey. The hostages, including U.S. citizen Colin Patrick
Starger, were released unharmed after spending several weeks in captivity.

December 1, 1993, north of Jerusalem, West Bank. Yitzhak Weinstock, 19,
whose family came from Los Angeles, CA, was killed in a drive-by shooting.
Hamas took responsibility for the attack

Sometime in 1994: near Atzmona, Gaza. U.S. citizen Mrs. Sheila Deutsch of
Brooklyn, NY injured in a shooting attack.

October 9, 1994. Nachshon Wachsman, 19, whose family came from New York, was
kidnapped and then murdered by Hamas.

October 9, 1994: Jerusalem, Israel. Shooting attack on cafe-goers in
Jerusalem. U.S. citizens Scot Doberstein and Eric Goldberg were injured.

March 8, 1995, Karachi, Pakistan. Two unidentified gunmen armed with AK-47
assault rifles opened fire on a U.S. Consulate van in Karachi, killing two
U.S. diplomats, Jacqueline Keys Van Landingham and Gary C. Durell, and
wounding a third, Mark McCloy.

April 9, 1995, Kfar Darom and Netzarim, Gaza Strip. Two suicide attacks were
carried out within a few hours of each other in Jewish settlements in the
Gaza Strip. In the first attack a suicide bomber crashed an explosive-rigged
van into an Israeli bus in Netzarim, killing eight including U.S. citizen
Alisa Flatow, 20, of West Orange, NJ. More than 30 others were injured. In
the second attack, a suicide bomber detonated a car bomb in the midst of a
convoy of cars in Kfar Darom, injuring 12. The Palestine Islamic Jihad (PIJ)
Shaqaqi Faction claimed responsibility for the attacks. U.S. citizens Chava
Levine and Seth Klein were injured.

June 15, 1995: Jerusalem, Israel. U.S. citizen Howard Tavens of Cleveland,
OH was injured in a stabbing attack.

July 4, 1995, Kashmir, India. In Kashmir, a previously unknown militant
group, Al-Faran, with suspected links to a Kashmiri separatist group in
Pakistan, took hostage six tourists, including two U.S. citizens. They
demanded the release of Muslim militants held in Indian prisons. One of the
U.S. citizens escaped on July 8, while on August 13 the decapitated body of
the Norwegian hostage was found along with a note stating that the other
hostages also would be killed if the group's demands were not met. The
Indian Government refused. Both Indian and American authorities believe the
rest of the hostages were most likely killed in 1996 by their jailers.

August 1995, Istanbul, Turkey. A bombing of Istanbul's popular Taksim Square
injured two U.S. citizens. This attack was part of a three-year-old attempt
by the PKK to drive foreign tourists away from Turkey by striking at tourist
sites.

August 21, 1995, Jerusalem, Israel. A bus bombing in Jerusalem by the
Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) killed four, including American Joan
Davenny of New Haven, CT, and wounded more than 100. U.S. citizens injured:
Chanoch Bleier, Judith Shulewitz, Bernard Batta.

September 9, 1995. Ma'ale Michmash. American killed: Unborn child of Mrs.
Mara Frey of Chicago. Mara Frey was injured.

November 9, 1995, Algiers, Algeria. Islamic extremists set fire to a
warehouse belonging to the U.S. Embassy, threatened the Algerian security
guard because he was working for the United States, and demanded to know
whether any U.S. citizens were present. The Armed Islamic Group (GIA)
probably carried out the attacks. The group had threatened to strike other
foreign targets and especially U.S. objectives in Algeria, and the attack's
style was similar to past GIA operations against foreign facilities.

November 13, 1995, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. A car bomb exploded in the parking
lot outside of the Riyadh headquarters of the Office of the Program
Manager/Saudi Arabian National Guard, killing seven persons, five of them
U.S. citizens, and wounding 42. The blast severely damaged the three-story
building, which houses a U.S. military advisory group, and several
neighboring office buildings. Three groups -- the Islamic Movement for
Change, the Tigers of the Gulf, and the Combatant Partisans of God --
claimed responsibility for the attack.

February 25, 1996, Jerusalem, Israel. A suicide bomber blew up a commuter
bus in Jerusalem, killing 26, including three U.S. citizens, and injuring 80
others, among them another two U.S. citizens. Hamas claimed responsibility
for the bombing. U. S. citizens killed: Sara Duker, of Teaneck, NJ, Matthew
Eisenfeld of West Hartford, CT, Ira Weinstein of Bronx, NY. U.S. citizens
injured: Beatrice Kramer, Steven Lapides.

March 4, 1996, Tel Aviv, Israel. A suicide bomber detonated an explosive
device outside the Dizengoff Center, Tel Aviv's largest shopping mall,
killing 20 persons and injuring 75 others, including two U.S. citizens. Both
Hamas and the Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the bombing. U.S.
citizens injured included Julie K. Negrin of Seattle, WA.

May 13, 1996, Beit-El, West Bank. Arab gunmen opened fire on a hitchhiking
stand near Beit El, wounding three Israelis and killing David Boim, 17, an
American-Israeli from New York. No one claimed responsibility for the
attack, although either the Islamic Jihad or Hamas are suspected. U.S.
citizens injured: Moshe Greenbaum, 17.

June 9, 1996, outside Zekharya. Yaron Ungar, an American-Israeli, and his
Israeli wife were killed in a drive-by shooting near their West Bank home.
The PFLP is suspected.

June 25, 1996, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. A fuel truck carrying a bomb exploded
outside the U.S. military's Khobar Towers housing facility in Dhahran,
killing 19 U.S. military personnel and wounding 515 persons, including 240
U.S. personnel. Several groups claimed responsibility for the attack. In
June 2001, a U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Virginia, identified Saudi
Hizballah as the party responsible for the attack. The court indicated that
the members of the organization, banned from Saudi Arabia, "frequently met
and were trained in Lebanon, Syria, or Iran" with Libyan help.

August 17, 1996, Mapourdit, Sudan. Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA)
rebels kidnapped six missionaries in Mapourdit, including a U.S citizen. The
SPLA released the hostages on August 28.

November 1, 1996, Sudan. A breakaway group of the Sudanese People's
Liberation Army (SPLA) kidnapped three workers of the International
Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), including one U.S citizen. The rebels
released the hostages on December 9 in exchange for ICRC supplies and a
health survey of their camp.

December 3, 1996, Paris, France. A bomb exploded aboard a Paris subway
train, killing four and injuring 86 persons, including a U.S. citizen. No
one claimed responsibility for the attack, but Algerian extremists are
suspected.

January 2, 1997, Major cities worldwide, United States. A series of letter
bombs with Alexandria, Egypt postmarks were discovered at Al-Hayat newspaper
bureaus in Washington, DC, New York, London, and Riyadh. Three similar
devices, also postmarked in Egypt, were found at a prison facility in
Leavenworth, Kansas. Bomb disposal experts defused all the devices, but one
detonated at the Al-Hayat newspaper office in London, injuring two security
guards and causing minor damage.

February 23, 1997, New York, United States. A Palestinian gunman opened fire
on tourists at an observation deck atop the Empire State building in New
York, killing a Danish national and wounding visitors from the United
States, Argentina, Switzerland and France before turning the gun on himself.
A handwritten note carried by the gunman claimed this was a punishment
attack against the "enemies of Palestine."

July 30, 1997, Jerusalem, Israel. Two bombs detonated in Jerusalem's Mahane
Yehuda market, killing 15 persons, including a U.S. citizen and wounding 168
others, among them two U.S. citizens. The Izz-el-Din al-Qassam Brigades,
Hamas' military wing, claimed responsibility for the attack. U.S. citizens
killed: Mrs. Leah Stern of Passaic, NJ. U.S. citizens injured: Dov Dalin.

September 4, 1997: Jerusalem, Israel. Bombing on Ben-Yehuda Street,
Jerusalem. U.S. citizens killed: Yael Botwin, 14, of Los Angeles and
Jerusalem. U.S. citizens injured: Diana Campuzano of New York, Abraham
Mendelson of Los Angeles, CA, Greg Salzman of New Jersey, Stuart E. Hersh of
Kiryat Arba, Israel, Michael Alzer, Abraham Elias, David Keinan, Daniel
Miller of Boca Raton, FL, Noam Rozenman of Jerusalem, Jenny (Yocheved) Rubin
of Los Angeles, CA. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.

October 30, 1997, Sanaa, Yemen. Al-Sha'if tribesmen kidnapped a U.S.
businessman near Sanaa. The tribesmen sought the release of two fellow
tribesmen who were arrested on smuggling charges and several public works
projects they claim the government promised them. The hostage was released
on November 27.

November 12, 1997, Karachi, Pakistan. Two unidentified gunmen shot to death
four U.S. auditors from Union Texas Petroleum and their Pakistani driver as
they drove away from the Sheraton Hotel in Karachi. Two groups claimed
responsibility -- the Islamic Inqilabi Council, or Islamic Revolutionary
Council and the Aimal Secret Committee, also known as the Aimal Khufia
Action Committee.

November 25, 1997, Aden, Yemen. Yemenite tribesmen kidnapped a U.S citizen,
two Italians, and two unspecified Westerners near Aden to protest the
eviction of a tribe member from his home. The kidnappers released the five
hostages on November 27.

April 19, 1998, Maon, Israel. Dov Driben, a 28-year-old American-Israeli
farmer was killed by terrorists near the West Bank town of Maon. One of his
assailants, Issa Debavseh, a member of Fatah Tanzim, was killed on November
7, 2001, by the IDF after being on their wanted list for the murder.

June 21, 1998, Beirut, Lebanon. Two hand-grenades were thrown at the U.S.
Embassy in Beirut. No casualties were reported.

June 21, 1998, Beirut, Lebanon. Three rocket-propelled grenades attached to
a crude detonator exploded near the U.S. Embassy compound in Beirut, causing
no casualties and little damage. August 7, 1998, Nairobi, Kenya. A car bomb
exploded at the rear entrance of the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi. The attack
killed a total of 292, including 12 U.S. citizens, and injured over 5,000,
among them six Americans. The perpetrators belonged to al-Qaida, Usama bin
Ladin's network.

August 7, 1998, Dar es Sala'am, Tanzania. A car bomb exploded outside the
U.S. Embassy in Dar es Sala'am, killing 11 and injuring 86. Osama bin
Laden's organization al-Qaida claimed responsibility for the attack. Two
suspects were arrested.

November 21, 1998, Teheran, Iran. Members of Fedayeen Islam, shouting
anti-American slogans and wielding stones and iron rods, attacked a group of
American tourists in Tehran. Some of the tourists suffered minor injuries
from flying glass.

December 28, 1998, Mawdiyah, Yemen. Sixteen tourists--12 Britons, two
Americans and two Australians--were taken hostage in the largest kidnapping
in Yemen's recent history. The tourists were seized in the Abyan province
(some 175 miles south of Sanaa the capital). One Briton and a Yemeni guide
escaped, while the rest were taken to city of Mawdiyah. Four hostages were
killed when troops closed in and two were wounded, including an American
woman. The kidnappers, members of the Islamic Army of Aden-Abyan, an
offshoot of Al-Jihad, had demanded the release from jail of their leader,
Saleh Haidara al-Atwi.

October 31, 1999, Nantucket, Massachusetts, United States. EgyptAir Flight
990 crashed off the U.S. coast killing all 217 people on board, including
100 Americans. Although it is not precisely clear what happened, evidence
indicated that an Egyptian pilot crashed the plane for personal or political
reasons.

November 4, 1999, Athens, Greece. A group protesting President Clinton's
visit to Greece hid a gas bomb at an American car dealership in Athens. Two
cars were destroyed and several others damaged. Anti-State Action claimed
responsibility for the attack, but the November 17 group was also suspected.

November 12, 1999, Islamabad, Pakistan. Six rockets were fired at the U.S.
Information Services cultural center and United Nations offices in
Islamabad, injuring a Pakistani guard.

September 29, 2000. near Jerusalem Israel. Attack on motorists. U.S.
citizens injured: Avi Herman of Teaneck, NJ, Naomi Herman of Teaneck, NJ.

September 29, 2000, Jerusalem, Israel. Attack on taxi passengers. U.S.
citizens injured: Tuvia Grossman of Chicago, Todd Pollack of Norfolk, VA,
Andrew Feibusch of New York.

October 4, 2000, near Bethlehem, West Bank. U.S. citizens injured: An
unidentified American tourist.

October 5, 2000: near Jerusalem, Israel. Attack on a motorist. U.S. citizens
injured: Rabbi Chaim Brovender of Brooklyn.

October 8, 2000, Nablus, West Bank. The bullet-ridden body of Rabbi Hillel
Lieberman, a U.S. citizen from Brooklyn living in the Jewish settlement of
Elon Moreh, was found at the entrance to the West Bank town of Nablus.
Lieberman had headed there after hearing that Palestinians had desecrated
the religious site, Joseph's Tomb. No organization claimed responsibility
for the murder.

October 12, 2000, Aden Harbor, Yemen. A suicide squad rammed the warship the
U.S.S. Cole with an explosives-laden boat killing 13 American sailors and
injuring 33. The attack was likely by Osama bin Ladin's al-Qaida
organization.

October 30, 2000, Jerusalem, Israel. Gunmen killed Eish Kodesh Gilmor, a
25-year-old American-Israeli on duty as a security guard at the National
Insurance Institute in Jerusalem. The "Martyrs of the Al-Aqsa Intifada," a
group linked to Fatah, claimed responsibility for the attack. Gilmor's
family filed a suit in the U.S. District Court in Washington against the
Palestinian Authority, the PLO, Chairman Yasser Arafat and members of Force
17, as being responsible for the attack.

December 31, 2000, Ofra, Israel. Rabbi Binyamin Kahane, 34, and his wife,
Talia Hertzlich Kahane, both formerly of Brooklyn, NY were killed in a
drive-by shooting. Their children, Yehudit Leah Kahane, Bitya Kahane, Tzivya
Kahane, Rivka Kahane, and Shlomtsion Kahane, were injured in the attack.

The big ones you already knew about: 1993 WTC attack, 1996 Khobar Towers,
1999 Egypt Air crash, and the 2000 attack on the USS Cole. There's plenty
of evidence to suggest that Clinton's cronies also managed to conceal the
fact that the 1996 TWA 800 disaster was a terrorist attack, downed by a
surface to air missile.

Bill Moyers on environment, politics and Christian fundamentalists [email protected] General 1852 April 5th 05 11:17 PM
OT Bush is certainly no Reagan basskisser General 0 June 8th 04 03:53 PM
A truly great man! John Cairns ASA 24 December 4th 03 05:20 PM
Can We STOP IT??? Bobsprit ASA 5 November 21st 03 11:59 AM