Default Snow Outlook

Winter was rather mild here in Central Minnesota. Probably one of the
lowest accumulated snowfalls the Twin City area has ever recorded.
More snow further north, but still shy of the typical 110 inches.

California has been inundated with moisture. Sierras have record
snowfall. But what about the rest of the West?

Chuck P - how is Idaho shaping up?
Anyone with any inside information on what Utah is looking like?

With the rather low precipitation levels of the last several years, I
would expect most of the snow melt will go into refilling the
reservoirs and not much will emerge downstream.

RailTramp

---

Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
RBP Clique member #86

The best adventure is yet to come!

Dave Manby

Eastern Turkey has had big snow this winter!

In message .com,
" writes

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at

Tinkerntom

Here in Colorado, they are saying the snow is above average in the
mtns, and should result in above average runoff.

Richard Ferguson

I have a trip planned on the San Juan River in SE Utah, and the drainage
basin in SW Colorado is at 164% of normal snowpack! We are concerned
that high water will make the trip more difficult than we expected.
This trip is in open canoes with some paddlers without much whitewater
experience.

Snowpack in the rest of Colorado varies, but the southern part of the
state is well over normal, with the northern part at or a little below
normal. Reservoirs in Colorado are generally near normal levels, since
we had good snowfall last season. The Denver Water board is reporting
73% average for their reservoirs, a little below normal, but not bad.

If you do some Google searching, you can find out snowpack in all the
usual places.

Richard

wrote:
Winter was rather mild here in Central Minnesota. Probably one of the
lowest accumulated snowfalls the Twin City area has ever recorded.
More snow further north, but still shy of the typical 110 inches.

California has been inundated with moisture. Sierras have record
snowfall. But what about the rest of the West?

Chuck P - how is Idaho shaping up?
Anyone with any inside information on what Utah is looking like?

With the rather low precipitation levels of the last several years, I
would expect most of the snow melt will go into refilling the
reservoirs and not much will emerge downstream.

RailTramp

---

Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
RBP Clique member #86

The best adventure is yet to come!

riverman

"Richard Ferguson" wrote in message
I have a trip planned on the San Juan River in SE Utah, and the drainage
basin in SW Colorado is at 164% of normal snowpack! We are concerned that
high water will make the trip more difficult than we expected. This trip is
in open canoes with some paddlers without much whitewater experience.

Hey Richard:
I've run the Juan about 50 times in an open boat at all different levels.
The San Juan has a lot of personalities, and at higher water its actually a
lot easier to run, in general. The problem will be trying to slow yourself
down to get the most out of your trip. The top section is ususally pretty
wide, shallow and meandering, but at high water it just cranks along with
few rapids. The ones that DO open up are avoidable along the shore, even for
novices. You will have to be careful near River House, as the river will
probably be flowing through the trees at the foot of the ruins, and if you
want to see them you'll have to play with fire a bit. Be careful of
strainers. The ledge hole at Mexican Hat Rock gets huge, but can be avoided
with your eyes closed. Then, when you get just above the bridge at the San
Juan Inn, the river splits briefly into two channels and the rapids there
get a big large. Hug the inside corner and take the right channel: its got
lots of 12inch waves, but no giant holes like the left channel.

Once you are below the San Juan Inn, the current will crank you downriver in
a hearbeat. I once ran a trip of novices in canoes from River House to
John's Canyon in a morning....and we mostly laid on our gunnels and napped.
4-ft and 8-ft get a bit tricky, but again, you can sneak them along the
shore. Ross is washed out, but there are some weird eddys upstream of it,
and in the canyon just downstream.

The big one, Government, is the worst at high water. The run is along the
outside wall, then cut to the inside to avoid the ledge hole at bottom
right. However, the right side is subject to frequent changes from rockfall,
so don't take my word for it...scout river left and portage (or line) to be
safe.

The runout to the take-out is amazingly easy at high water, with no gravel
bars or mud bars to eat you up. Unfortunately, there is barely anywhere to
camp at Moonlight; only the dirtpile at the mouth, as the interior flats are
way underwater. You can also camp at the ledges at Grand Gulch without
passing your gear up 10 feet over your head, which is novel.

Be extra cautious of sandwaves: at high water, they are less common, but
much bigger. Train your friends on how to see them rising and to avoid them
quickly. At high water, if you dump a boat, it will be gone in a
heartbeat. Don't even try to self-rescue: swimmers will be 5 miles
downstream in no time. Swim to shore, get the boat later. Keep boats close
together, and always watch downstream; like as far as you can see
downstream. Don't pass up campsites; they are few and far between at high
water.

Good luck, and enjoy. Post a TR.

--riverman

Richard Ferguson

Thanks for all the tips, I forwarded them to the team members. I will
try to post a trip report. The trip is shaping up as 6 people, three
canoes and one cataraft. It is kind of a mixed bag of people, no real
novices, but a broad range of experience. I usually run whitewater
solo, so will need to rethink a bit to run it tandem.

I will bring my wet suit, and I am trying to talk my canoe partner, with
limited paddle experience, into buying a wet suit as well. I figure the
water to be seriously cold, and the air temperature may not be much
better in early April.

I am not sure what the San Juan flow is likely to be, but in 1993, the
last big snow year, the April flow averaged 6000 cfs. It could be huge
in June, but that does not affect us. One of the trip members has made
the run a half dozen times, but never above 4000 cfs. No one else has
run it before.

Richard

riverman wrote:
[...]

Courtney

I live in Washington State as well and yes the snowfall is bad to say the
least this year. I haven't even been snowboarding once this year. The one
or two weeks the slopes opened I waited wanting more snow and better
conditions. Then they closed due to lack of snow and now that they opened
again the weather decided to get warm and sunny once more. Looks like
whitewater is going to be out this summer so I am trying to get all that I
can in now. This summer it'll be sea kayaking and backpacking.

Courtney

Julia De Silva

I know some Americans (and a few others) refuse to admit Global Warming is
an issue, but IT IS HAPPENING, and we need to do something about it before
it's too late.

http://www.globalwarming.org/

riverman

"Julia De Silva" wrote in message
.uk...
I know some Americans (and a few others) refuse to admit Global Warming is
an issue, but IT IS HAPPENING, and we need to do something about it before
it's too late.

http://www.globalwarming.org/

Hmmm, my college roommate, who is now a major PhD environmental researcher
(with a healthy scientific skeptcism of this topic) puts it very well. He
says:

"Scientists are a rascally bunch. No one can make any claim with certainty
without a dozen or more other people attacking those claims and trying to
rip them to shreds. There is no consensus about what 'scientists agree on'.

The best that can be said about Global Warming is that no one is certain it
is NOT happening, a few people are certain it IS, and a whole lot of people
are debating it."

--riverman

riverman

[...]

When is your trip? April? Hmm, you might not want to continuously wear a
wetsuit, as you probably wont swim, and the daytime air temps should be in
the 70s, IIRC. Even if the water is snowmelt, I think the water temps will
still be in the high 40s, minimum.

BTW, in the past week, flows have dropped from 6000cfs to 1000cfs. That
usually means a huge drop in temps upstream, locking up the meltoff. But if
it was flowing 6K last week, a lot of runoff has run off. I bet you don't
have any more than 4000 for your trip in April.

Could be wrong on all counts, though. :-)

--riverman

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow Joe ASA 11 December 27th 04 12:29 AM
Snow Thom Stewart ASA 33 February 2nd 04 10:56 AM
WoooHooo, 1st snow! katysails ASA 5 November 5th 03 11:58 AM
The Real Imposter! Anonymous ASA 2 November 3rd 03 08:56 AM