Ben Peddell

Default Can anyone find history on the Nellie?

I'm wondering whether anyone could help me research on history on the
Nellie.
According to one person, she was built in 1867.
She did the lights in Hervey Bay up to around 1940.
Before that, she appearantly hauled logs.
I'm told she had been insured at Lloyds of London.
She is currently at Innisfail, Queensland, Australia.
I'm trying to get history on her to try to sell her to a museum.
Harry Krause

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:13:24 +0000 (UTC), Ben Peddell
wrote:

I'm wondering whether anyone could help me research on history on the
Nellie.
According to one person, she was built in 1867.
She did the lights in Hervey Bay up to around 1940.
Before that, she appearantly hauled logs.
I'm told she had been insured at Lloyds of London.
She is currently at Innisfail, Queensland, Australia.
I'm trying to get history on her to try to sell her to a museum.

My Great Grandfather was the builder and Skipper of the Nellie. I gave
a 6 digit check to the Innsisfail shipyard for upkeep about 6 years
ago.
Ben Peddell

wrote:

I'm wondering whether anyone could help me research on history on the
Nellie.
According to one person, she was built in 1867. She did the lights in
Hervey Bay up to around 1940. Before that, she appearantly hauled logs.
I'm told she had been insured at Lloyds of London. She is currently at
Innisfail, Queensland, Australia. I'm trying to get history on her to try
to sell her to a museum.

My Great Grandfather was the builder and Skipper of the Nellie. I gave a 6
digit check to the Innsisfail shipyard for upkeep about 6 years ago.

Six years ago, the Nellie I'm talking about was in Redland Bay, near
Brisbane.

During her life, she has:
Attended the lights in the Mary River and Sandy Straits (~1917 - ~1935)
Been owned by Jack Yappa and used as a pilot vessel and for charter
fishing (1935 - ~1950)
Been owned by Tom Weller and used for charter fishing and hauling log
barges for Wilson and Hart saw mills (~1950 - ~1960)
Been given to his daughter and son-in-law, John and Margaret Bertelson
(~1960 - ~1971)
Been sold to a couple of fishermen by the name of Page (~1971 - ~1987)
Been sold to Les Strauss, who did some repairs to her (~1987 - 1991)
Been sold to us (1991 - present)
We don't know what she was used for before 1917.

We have been given some information on a Nellie which was built in
Breakfast Creek, Brisbane for Percival P Outridge, who apparently sold it
to George Smith of Thursday Island. That Nellie had an elliptical stern
and raking bow.
We don't know whether that Nellie and our Nellie are one and the same.

--
Jesus is the only way to leave this world alive.

Junior Member

Location: Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Peddell View Post

wrote:

[...]

Some personal memories of the Nellie.
The Nellie owned by Tommy Weller was used by the Hervey Bay fishing club for trips to Fraser Island during the '50's. Tommy was my Sea Scout leader (Gannet) and I used to help him load the Nellie each Sunday by rowing the fishermen from the shore to the Nellie and back at both the Urangan Harbour and Moon Point on Fraser Island. The Nellie was a great boat and gave much enjoyment for a youngster such as my self. I did these trips when I was aged between 10 and 14 and I then joined the Navy when I was 15. If anyone has a photo of the Nellie I would appreciate them sending a copy to me.