BoatBanter.com

-   -   Maybe the best boat soap I ever used (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/28316-maybe-best-boat-soap-i-ever-used.html)

[email protected] February 19th 05 11:54 PM

Maybe the best boat soap I ever used

The rumors were true! There really was a boat under all that dirt.
The water has been off at my slip since October, so today's project was
to motor over to the guest dock and scrub (for 4 hours) her clean.

I stopped and purchased a bottle of Meguire's "Gold Seal" car wash
soap. ($7.99). I've had it with paying $30 a gallon for so-called boat
soap at Big Box Marine- only be disappointed with the results.

This Meguires stuff is so concentrated that it pours like molasses.
I used half a bottle on my very dirty 36-footer, and the boat hasn't
been so clean in a long time.

If you're looking for a good boat soap, the answer may not be a "boat
soap" at all. :-)

Wayne.B February 20th 05 01:13 AM

On 19 Feb 2005 15:54:09 -0800, wrote:
I stopped and purchased a bottle of Meguire's "Gold Seal" car wash
soap. ($7.99). I've had it with paying $30 a gallon for so-called boat
soap at Big Box Marine- only be disappointed with the results.

This Meguires stuff is so concentrated that it pours like molasses.
I used half a bottle on my very dirty 36-footer, and the boat hasn't
been so clean in a long time.

If you're looking for a good boat soap, the answer may not be a "boat
soap" at all. :-)

=============================

Good to know, thanks for the report. I've also had some luck with
Pine-Sol and Simple Green. Pine-Sol seems particularly effective with
brown water line stains, and also black sooty residue.

Gary February 20th 05 04:05 AM

Where did you get the Meguires soap? Is it available at most auto parts
places? I'm not familiar with it, but if I can find it I'll surely give it
a try.

Thanks for the report!

[email protected] February 20th 05 08:27 AM

Gary wrote:
Where did you get the Meguires soap? Is it available at most auto

parts
places? I'm not familiar with it, but if I can find it I'll surely

give it
a try.

Thanks for the report!

I bought it at a regional variety/grocery, Fred Meyer.

Short Wave Sportfishing February 20th 05 11:18 AM

On 20 Feb 2005 00:27:45 -0800, wrote:

Gary wrote:
Where did you get the Meguires soap? Is it available at most auto

parts
places? I'm not familiar with it, but if I can find it I'll surely

give it
a try.

Thanks for the report!

I bought it at a regional variety/grocery, Fred Meyer.

The alternate Super Wal-Mart.

For some reason I just saw this post and can't agree more with Chuck.
I use car products on both boats and they work very well.

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing February 20th 05 12:06 PM

Gary wrote:

Where did you get the Meguires soap? Is it available at most auto

parts

places? I'm not familiar with it, but if I can find it I'll surely

give it

a try.

Thanks for the report!

I bought it at a regional variety/grocery, Fred Meyer.

The alternate Super Wal-Mart.

For some reason I just saw this post and can't agree more with Chuck.
I use car products on both boats and they work very well.

Why wouldn't car wash products used on plastic and metal cars work on
plastic and metal boats?

Exactly.

Also, dollar for dollar, the combination car wash/wax products have
worked very well for me on fiberglass boats over the years. They are
great for a quick touch up wash job for instance.

The king of all car care products is the Mequires (sp?) line. I used
them on my antique truck when I had it and I use their stuff on my '70
Corvette (16,000 original miles thank you very much).

Like Chuck said, auto stuff works just fine.

And before anybody says it, I will - I'm very picky about how my boats
look - I like them clean and sharp looking.

I can't say the same for my office, but my boats look great. :)

Later,

Tom

NOYB February 20th 05 02:33 PM

wrote in message
ps.com...
The rumors were true! There really was a boat under all that dirt.
The water has been off at my slip since October, so today's project was
to motor over to the guest dock and scrub (for 4 hours) her clean.

I stopped and purchased a bottle of Meguire's "Gold Seal" car wash
soap. ($7.99). I've had it with paying $30 a gallon for so-called boat
soap at Big Box Marine- only be disappointed with the results.

This Meguires stuff is so concentrated that it pours like molasses.
I used half a bottle on my very dirty 36-footer, and the boat hasn't
been so clean in a long time.

If you're looking for a good boat soap, the answer may not be a "boat
soap" at all. :-)

Is it biodegradable? Or is that just a marketing ploy for the more
expensive soaps at the boat stores?

Don White February 20th 05 04:07 PM

"Jay" wrote in message
Yeah... I've been very unimpressed with a variety of "marine" soaps.. and
found for 88 cents / can, generic scrub and bubbles to work the best....

You have to wonder if the 'official' boat soaps are watered down to preserve
pristine lakes etc. My boat is trailerable, so I wash it in the
driveway...same as the van.

Jim February 20th 05 04:42 PM

Simple Green is $7.99 a gallon at Smart and Final. Concentrated, must
be diluted, does everything. Biodegradable. Harbor Patrol has no
problem with seeing it being used.

It's about the only soap I use.