BoatBanter.com

-   -   A couple of newbie questions (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2831-couple-newbie-questions.html)

JAXAshby January 21st 04 09:55 PM

A couple of newbie questions

cannot really understand the whole concept of "hull speed."

there is no concept called "hull speed", just a bogus explanation given to 19th
century British naval brass as to why they couldn't make 100 mph speed boats
out of 200 ton square rigger sailboats, and explanation that chowderheads
believed was scientifically based.

Mark Browne January 25th 04 06:06 AM

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
cannot really understand the whole concept of "hull speed."

there is no concept called "hull speed", just a bogus explanation given to

19th
century British naval brass as to why they couldn't make 100 mph speed

boats
out of 200 ton square rigger sailboats, and explanation that chowderheads
believed was scientifically based.

Let's see ... in this corner I have Jax all by his lonesome claiming that
there is not such thing as a relation between hull shape, length, speed and
drag, and in the other corner we have the rest of the world. This includes
folks who do tow tank testing, ship designers, and yes, the military. (See
the Navy training material I posted earlier) The rest of the world chooses
to wrap up this relationship in a concept known as "hull Speed."

Jax, everyone else, Jax, everyone else; who to belive?

Its a tough one, but I think I am going to side with the rest of the world.

Mark Browne
P.S. I wonder what the voices in Jax head will tell him to say next?

Florida Keyz January 25th 04 12:01 PM

A couple of newbie questions

jax ,, if nothing eles , you are consistent. Where do you get this stuff?

Paul Schilter January 25th 04 07:42 PM

A couple of newbie questions

Karen of Oz?