BoatBanter.com

-   -   A couple of newbie questions (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2831-couple-newbie-questions.html)

Short Wave Sportfishing January 18th 04 11:37 AM

A couple of newbie questions

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:28:28 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

"Joe Parsons" wrote:

A nautical mile is also, precisely, 6,076.12 feet.

[HAIRSPLITTING=ON]

That's not precise--that's rounded to two decimals.
A nautical mile is, by definition, precisely 1,852 meters, as mentioned

above.
That converts to 6,076.11549 feet (which still is not precise!).
[HAIRSPLITTING=OFF]

[HAIRSPLITTING = ON AGAIN]

Actually, the statement, "A nautical mile is also, precisely, 6,076.12
feet."
IS precise. It may not be exact, but it is precise.

[HAIRSPLITTING = OFF]

Spliting of hairs

Actually, precision is how you define precision - it is a fairly
flexible term. One can be precise to two places or ten places - it
all depends on how the number is used.

Thus, I choose to be precise to 3.88451 feet - 6,080 feet it is. ;)

/Splitting of hairs

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test

JAXAshby January 18th 04 01:17 PM

A couple of newbie questions

also wrong, but what the hey it is simple and complete.

Where exactly is it wrong?

among other things, there is no reason whatsoever that a boat MUST go over top
of a wave rather then through it, and a sin function does NOT explode at zero
degrees.

JAXAshby January 18th 04 01:19 PM

A couple of newbie questions

gene, be stupid if that's what you want. who cares.

Obviously, since you
are *so* much more intelligent that we are and we have nothing to
contribute to your most important life, it would be best if you went
back to where you were for the most of 2003... (away from here).

Lest you forget that we are dirt under your feet and nothing but an
irritant destined to spoil your cardiovascular health, please re-read:

http://tinyurl.com/2uuuc

Then go back......

Byeeeeeee.....
--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/
Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where
Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures
at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.cafeshops.com/recdotboats
Shameless Commercial Plug for Lee's Rec.Boats Clothing

JAXAshby January 18th 04 01:20 PM

A couple of newbie questions

wayne, you can be a stupid as you wish. your choice.

From: Wayne.B
Date: 1/18/2004 12:17 AM Eastern Standard Time
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:37:56 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:
Jax,

Please go back to your doctor for a stress test. Obviously, since you
are *so* much more intelligent that we are and we have nothing to
contribute to your most important life, it would be best if you went
back to where you were for the most of 2003... (away from here).

Lest you forget that we are dirt under your feet and nothing but an
irritant destined to spoil your cardiovascular health, please re-read:

http://tinyurl.com/2uuuc

Then go back......

Byeeeeeee.....

Where's "Bertie the Bunyip" when we need him?

Wayne.B January 18th 04 04:53 PM

A couple of newbie questions

The concepts being wrestled with here are "precision" and "accuracy".

Precision implies repeatable results to some number of decimal places
plus or minus an uncertainty factor.

Accuracy implies the correct answer in absolute terms.

Lloyd Sumpter January 18th 04 04:54 PM

A couple of newbie questions

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:30:05 +0000, DSK wrote:

Lou Dempster wrote:

Could someone please tell me what a knotical mile is in comparison to the
standard mile. Also what does D/L limited speed: 10.08 kt. and Disp. Hull
Speed: 5.90 kt. mean.
I am just fooling around with a hull designer and would appreciate any info.

Well, other have answered the nautical mile question, so I'll try the other two.
Displacement hull speed is the highest speed a given hull can reach when limited
to it's wave train. What this means is that the boat is fully supported by
displacement of water (as opposed to planing, where the boat is supported by
hydrodynamic force of water going by under the hull) and so therefore it has to
push water out of the way, making waves. A less obvious point is that the water
has to come back together again as the boat passes.... in traditional hull
design, the key to designing a fast boat was always said to be to minimize the
stern wave.

Displacement hull speed is determined by waterline length. The further apart the
bow & stern waves are, the faster the connected wave train can move across the
surface. At 5.9 knots, the crests of the bow and stern wave are about 18' 4"
apart, so I bet that is the waterline length of the hull you are designing.

I'll agree that this is a great explanation of "hull speed" and will only add
that it is theoretical. "Displacement" boats often exceed "hull speed" in
certain conditions without planing.

But hull speed is an excellent "mark" to do calculations with. If you're doing
around hull speed with, say, a certain engine and prop combination, don't expect
to go much faster if you you add more hp, etc. If you're nowhere near hull
speed, doubling hp may close to double your speed. But as you approach hull
speed, it takes more and more hp to go any faster. (For a sailboat, replace hp
with "sail area, wind speed, etc.")

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - hull speed 7.5kn, has seen 10

Wayne.B January 18th 04 04:57 PM

A couple of newbie questions

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:54:44 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - hull speed 7.5kn, has seen 10

Lloyd, what is your water line length (LWL) ?

JAXAshby January 18th 04 06:02 PM

A couple of newbie questions

and will only add
that it is theoretical

it is not even theoretical. It is and always was just scientific sounding
gibberish.

Calif Bill January 18th 04 06:21 PM

wrote:

"Joe Parsons" wrote:

[...]

Not exactly. Precision can be described to how many decimal places you go
out. Accuracy is how good is the data.

3.88451 is a precision of 5 decimal places and an accuracy of 4 decimal
places. The number can be from 3.884505 to 3.884514 And multiplying does
not increase precision, only continues the precision of the input values.
3.21 x 3.21 != 10.3041 is only accurate to 10.30. The rest of the numbers
are noise / garbage.

JAXAshby January 18th 04 06:36 PM

A couple of newbie questions

3.21 x 3.21 != 10.3041 is only accurate to 10.30.

correct me if I am wrong, but as I remember it 3.21 x 3.21 is only accurate to
one decimal because the factors are accurate to only 1 place. I am pretty sure
of that but it has been a while since I worried about "precision" and "double
precision" numbers.