JimH

Default Record turnout and sales at Seattle Boat Show

How can this be if the economy is in the dumper?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...ord+high&hl=en

Stellar attendance and strong sales combined to set a new high-water mark
for the Seattle Boat Show, which ended its ten-day run at Qwest Field Event
Center on Sunday, January 23.

"Absolutely and unequivocally, this was the best show we've ever had," said
Michael Campbell, president of the Northwest Marine Trade Association,
which produced the event, in conjunction with the Lake Union Boats Afloat
Show. The two venues make up the West Coast's largest boat show.

Even against the backdrop of rainy skies, the Lake Union Boats Afloat Show
enjoyed record attendance. "The quality of buyers was out-

standing," says Molly Holden, executive director of the Northwest Yacht
Brokers Association, which produced the event.

Tanya Lage, Lake Union Boats Afloat Show director, said, "We've heard
nothing but good things from everyone. We've had brokers say it was their
best show in 20 years. Several who hadn't sold boats in the past, were
writing up orders. And some dealers had huge sales."

Senior Member

Location: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
[...]

One reason for boat sales being high is the low interest rates as low as 5% here in Michigan at the Detroit show.

One reason the Seattle show posted record ticket sales is that two
previous shows where combined into a single event (for the second year
in a row). The comparisons are being made between the combined shows
and the old records for the indoor show only.

The gate was actually down a little bit at the outdoor show. Two of the
ten days were essentially "rained out."
But it isn't the number of people who show up that make a successful
show, it's the number of people who show up and who are willing to
write a big check.

The boat business is *very good* right now in the Seattle area. Several
regional builders are sold out until 2006.

Selling well: boats under 20 feet and boats over 45 feet.
(lots of activity under $50k, lots of activity over $500k, a surprising
number of buyers in the 7-figure range.)

The well off have plenty of money to spend, the middle class is still
more or less MIA, (maybe still waiting to see what's going to happen
next) and everybody else is buying entry level trailer boats. Who
knows? We may be moving to the have/have not economic model faster than
we think, with the middle class the canaries in the coal mine.

JimH

wrote in message
ups.com...
One reason the Seattle show posted record ticket sales is that two
previous shows where combined into a single event (for the second year
in a row). The comparisons are being made between the combined shows
and the old records for the indoor show only.

And the main reason is a good economy.

Folks don't buy expensive toys when money is tight and the future is bleak,
even when interest rates are low. ;-)

NOYB

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've got news for you: The middle class are the folks buying the $50k and
under boats.

JimH

"NOYB" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Indeed. And I would guess under $200k also.

Don White

"RGrew176" wrote in message

Tanya Lage, Lake Union Boats Afloat Show director, said, "We've heard
nothing but good things from everyone. We've had brokers say it was
their
best show in 20 years. Several who hadn't sold boats in the past, were
writing up orders. And some dealers had huge sales."

One reason for boat sales being high is the low interest rates as low
as 5% here in Michigan at the Detroit show.

At our local boat show, one dealer was advertising payments spread over a
184 month period. You need a calculator to figure out how many years that
is, and the boat wasn't anything special.

JimH

"Don White" wrote in message

"RGrew176" wrote in message

Tanya Lage, Lake Union Boats Afloat Show director, said, "We've heard
nothing but good things from everyone. We've had brokers say it was
their
best show in 20 years. Several who hadn't sold boats in the past, were
writing up orders. And some dealers had huge sales."

One reason for boat sales being high is the low interest rates as low
as 5% here in Michigan at the Detroit show.

At our local boat show, one dealer was advertising payments spread over a
184 month period. You need a calculator to figure out how many years that
is, and the boat wasn't anything special.

15 years for a large boat loan is typical here in the States. But the point
is that one does not take on any sort of loan for an expensive toy if
financial conditions (short term and long term) were not positive for the
buyer, a true indication of a good economy. ;-)

JimH

"JimH" wrote in message

"Don White" wrote in message

"RGrew176" wrote in message

[...]

It should have read .....for the buyer, and the fact that they are is a true
indication of a good economy. ;-)

John H

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:16:23 -0500, "JimH" wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

"RGrew176" wrote in message

Tanya Lage, Lake Union Boats Afloat Show director, said, "We've heard
nothing but good things from everyone. We've had brokers say it was
their
best show in 20 years. Several who hadn't sold boats in the past, were
writing up orders. And some dealers had huge sales."

One reason for boat sales being high is the low interest rates as low
as 5% here in Michigan at the Detroit show.

At our local boat show, one dealer was advertising payments spread over a
184 month period. You need a calculator to figure out how many years that
is, and the boat wasn't anything special.

15 years for a large boat loan is typical here in the States. But the point
is that one does not take on any sort of loan for an expensive toy if
financial conditions (short term and long term) were not positive for the
buyer, a true indication of a good economy. ;-)

Don't let Jimcomma see this. He'll start posting *more* bad news stuff!

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes