Default Interesting old boat......

My Gal

William Garden was born in Calgary, Alberta, in 1918. The Garden family
relocated to Seattle about the time young William was ten years old.
After graduating from a Seattle High School, William attended Edison
Tech's Boatbuilding School and then landed a job at Andrew's Boat
Company on Portage Bay. Garden served in the army from 1942-46 where he
worked at a ship repair facility in the Aleutians. By 1947 he was a
licensed naval architect, and he launched one of the most influential
careers in modern boat design. Among many hundreds of designs, he drew
this month's NW Classic, "My Gal", built in 1967 at Vic
Franck's Boatyard on Portage Bay. The design was a departure from the
prevailing norm in its day, but as Bruce Ramon of Wolfe Marine
observed, "This boat really inspired a long series of Pacific
Northwest cruisers." As we inspected the 64' cedar on oak
motoryacht, it was easy to appreciate Bruce's insight.

Sixty to seventy-foot pleasure boats of the mid-1960's were typified
by flush deck motoryachts from legendary builders such as Chris Craft
and Pacemaker. Stylish designs featured a long foredeck and
inconsequential sidedecks, with most superstructure and a high
bridgedeck well aft. Garden's earliest designs were primarily working
commercial vessels, and the propensity for creating stout boats with
excellent seakeeping characteristics endured throughout his career.
"My Gal" features a raised pilothouse behind a Portuguese bridge, a
high bow, decks sloped to drain aft, and wide, covered side decks. So
advanced was Garden's design that "My Gal" doesn't appear badly
outdated in 2005, but she must have garnered some intrigued stares from
owners of Chris Craft Commanders, Matthews Voyagers, and horizontally
layered Pacemaker Flush Decks when first debuted.

We boarded "My Gal" at Vic Franck's Boatyard, where she was
launched thirty-eight years ago. Dan Franck reported that the boatyard
has been doing periodic refits on the boat for a short list of
successive owners. Her hull and superstructure gleamed, even on a dark
January day, "We repainted her not all that long ago," said Dan
Franck. "We were about to do some minor updating on the interior
when, unfortunately, the owner of the boat passed away and its now
being sold as part of his estate."

Vital statistics:

"My Gal" has an LOA of 64-feet, (61' 7" at the waterline). She
carries a 17-foot beam, displaces 77,500 pounds, and draws 4' 9".
A pair of 350HP Detroit 8V71's provides comfortable cruising speeds
of 12-14 knots, with a top speed of 16. A fuel capacity of 1,280
gallons and 600 gallons of potable water (plus a watermaker) provide
adequate range for extended summer cruising. AC power can be produced
underway by two generators: 12 and 15kw Kohlers. She has been fitted
with a WESMAR bow thruster, and Vosper stabilizers.

A walk through:

We went aboard "My Gal" by crossing the swimstep and stepping
through a transom door. A flawlessly finished teak caprail adorns the
cockpit and the Portuguese bridge. Decks are painted, non-skid
fiberglass to provide solid, low maintenance footing. A cold plate
chest freezer is positioned on the port side of the aft cabin bulkhead,
inspiring conclusions that "My Gal" could be provisioned for
extended cruises.

The salon is most aft. A smartly upholstered settee is just to port of
door between the salon and the cockpit, and it takes a 90-degree turn
to extend up the port side as well. A carpeted perimeter surrounds a
large central area of teak parquet on the cabin sole. Interior walls
are premium grade teak, and large windows prevented the salon from
seeming overly dark on a gloomy January day. A dining bar, with seating
for an easy three or close four, is in the port forequarter of the
salon and doubles as the pass-through counter for the U-shaped galley
just beyond. One is immediately aware that the same general layout is
still used on some of the most popular selling, mass produced,
pilothouse motoryachts being produced today- (but without the "custom
crafted" effect).

A companionway leading to the pilothouse steps extends between the
starboard edge of the galley and teak stowage lockers below the
starboard windows.

The galley proper is centered on an oversize ceramic sink with single
lever mixing faucet, situated immediately below a port side window. The
galley leg situated along the forward bulkhead includes upper lockers,
lower drawers, and terminates in a four-burner, double oven, 220-volt
electric range. The aft leg of the galley has the doublewide countertop
that also serves as a dining bar and pass through, with lockers above
and below and terminates with a Whirlpool side-by-side
refrigerator/freezer. All galley fixtures are teak, carefully preserved
and maintained and glowing with a patina only achievable with a bit of
graceful aging.

"My Gal" is a three-stateroom vessel, with the staterooms one deck
below the salon and galley. Headroom in the staterooms is a minimum of
6'6" throughout. The master stateroom is most forward, with a
generous double or modest queen "walkaround" centerline berth
headed to the chain locker bulkhead in the forepeak. The teak that
prevailed on the main deck gives way to a soft white yacht enamel and
fabric surfaces in the staterooms, once again creating an environment
that is lighter and seems more spacious by virtue of more reflective
tones. The lockers and fixtures built into the master stateroom are
skillfully assembled to the highest standards. "My Gal"
incorporates a very impressive master head, with a soaking tub, hand
basin, and marine toilet all mounted in fields of hand laid ceramic
tile.

The second stateroom is a set of upper and lower bunks in the portside
companionway leading aft from the master stateroom. Just aft of the
bunks is a large, fully tiled head, with an oversized shower stall.
This "day head" serves the salon, galley, and pilothouse areas
without any need to pass through a stateroom to reach a head.

The third stateroom is aft of the master stateroom, and to starboard.
The third stateroom features a double bunk, a hanging locker with
built-in drawers, and a ceramic tiled private head with sink and
shower.

A stacked washer and dryer is just inside the entry to the engine room.
The machinery space itself has standing headroom, (but just), for a
5'11" magazine writer. The Detroit 8V71's can be easily serviced
on all sides, a benefit of a 17-foot beam. Ample space for a workbench,
easy access to major systems, and an inventory of tools, fasteners, and
spares allows the engine room to be extremely user friendly. An
enormous lazarette is aft of the engine room bulkhead, and one suspects
that William Garden may have considered this huge stowage area as a
sort of converted "fish hold".

While an interior helm is often a minor afterthought on many powerboats
(and tucked somewhere out of the way where it won't interfere with
food and beverage service), a pilothouse motoryacht places appropriate
emphasis on the business end of boating. "My Gal" has a large, six
spoke wheel at a center helm, with large expanses of working and
charting space extending to both the port and starboard edges of the
pilothouse. A settee and table with built-in stowage is situated in the
aft port quarter of the pilothouse, encouraging guests to visit the
skipper without disrupting the operation of the vessel.
If "My Gal" were put into charter with a paid captain, he or she
could sleep in the pilot's berth just above the settee to create
additional privacy for the guests in the staterooms below.

"My Gal" has a complete array of modern electronics, with two
computer display screens and fully interfaced radar, GPS, and autopilot
systems. A skillful installation has brought the electronics into the
pilothouse without fostering an overwhelming presence of electronic
monitors. The integrated control console is organized, efficient, and
doesn't unduly impair visibility.

Like most pilothouse motoryachts, aft visibility from the wheel is
poor. Backing down isn't a blind operation aboard "My Gal", as
there are two additional control stations to port and starboard on the
Portuguese bridge. Each of the exterior stations has a set of engine
controls as well as a bow thruster lever. There is an exterior wheel on
the front of the pilothouse, easily accessed from either control
station on the Portuguese bridge.
When backing the vessel, a skipper standing at either station gets an
excellent view aft along the side decks. The exterior stations would
also prove useful when bringing the vessel alongside a float or dock as
they allow very good visibility over the rail.

Cruisers arriving at a summer anchorage in "My Gal" will deploy a
Fjorford anchor, with stout chain rode hauled by an extra heavy-duty
windlass. The windlass is yet another reminder that Bill Garden
designed tugs and fishboats before he expanded into yachts, and
apparently developed an appreciation for the importance of a serious
windlass in the process. The shoreboat, mounted on the boatdeck, is a
17-foot Boston Whaler with an outboard motor.

Originally launched 38 years ago at Vic Franck's, "My Gal" is
temporarily moored at her birthplace and waiting for new owners to take
her on yet another series of adventures. She would appear to be a
coastal cruiser more than sufficient to the task. There is enough room
in the lazarette to add additional fuel capacity and give her true
passage making range. She no longer looks like an oddball,
nonconformist design but instead appears exactly like what Garden's
original pilothouse motoryacht ultimately became: often imitated, but
seldom surpassed.

Don White

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Did our Thaiboy Tuuuuu,,,,k lose his job pulling the pedicab and
delivering sushi?

Seems so...probably for sassin' the customers. If he's not careful, his
relatives may cancel his sponsorship and ship him back home.

Don White

"John H" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:48:06 GMT, "Don White"

wrote:

Be honest, Don. You were laughing your ass off as you typed that, now

weren't
you?

No sir! He's certifiable.

Somebody wrote:

Harry Kruase Feb 5, 7:16 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: "Harry Kruase" - Find messages
by this author
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:16:54 -0500
Subject: Interesting old boat......
original | Report Abuse

Yup

I have an interesting old boat,,

Actually I own about 30 interesting old boats, if you define old being
30
years or more,, but not less.

My great grand pappa, had a few old boats, when he traveled over here
on the
Titanic he was allowed to put the boats in cargo cheap (because he knew
the
captain, good friends)

************

There may be credibility to a current theory that Tuuk is an Australian
sock puppet.
There's a bit of the Blunderbus from Down Under Us in that
parenthetical clause.

Who else hates Krause so bitterly that they would take the very first
opportunity to make an unprovoked attack? If his best friend in the NG
made an attempt to slop up and disguise her style, would it not read
almost exactly like the yellow pus oozing from "Tuuk"?

Innocent until proven guilty, of course, but it is not unsual for
people on an internet crusade to
invent a few allies for their questionable causes.

John H

Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: "Harry Kruase" - Find messages
by this author
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:16:54 -0500
[...]

Chuck, you guys come up with some of the most *interesting* theories!

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes

JohnH wrote:

Chuck, you guys come up with some of the most *interesting* theories!

*******************

That's the difference between a progressive and a conservative, JohnH.
"We guys" are always imagining how things could be, and working toward
the better alternatives. "You guys" are more concerned with preserving
whatever status happens to be quo.
No big deal, the world would come to grinding halt without one side or
the other.

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...
JohnH wrote:

Chuck, you guys come up with some of the most *interesting* theories!

*******************

That's the difference between a progressive and a conservative, JohnH.
"We guys" are always imagining how things could be, and working toward
the better alternatives. "You guys" are more concerned with preserving
whatever status happens to be quo.

I knew you would somehow turn a boating thread into a political one Chuck.
It seems to be your ultimate agenda with anything you write.

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 28th 05 05:46 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 September 29th 04 05:19 AM
I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM